Need motion sensor to turn on vacumn cleaner for 1 second

ohmedout

Joined Jan 6, 2024
We have a cat that needs to be kept out of a room and she hates the vacumn.
Looking for advice to help build a device that would turn on a vacumn cleaner for 1 second anytime motion is detected.
I am fimiliar with relays and motion sensors, but cant seem to find anything already made up to order.

So I would need a motion sensor to trip a relay, that sends a signal to a 120v 10amp controller, "on" for 1 second then off

ANY help or suggestions appreicated on what to buy or how to configure it

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
ANY help or suggestions appreicated on what to buy or how to configure it
Don't know if you are still looking for help but I think this setup might meet your needs.
Both modules available from Amazon.
Minimum ON time for the motion sensor is 1 minute but the capacitor only allows the relay to activate for 1 second.

1704746603698.png

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
There are probably quite a few other, much lower Power, "Noise-Makers" that would be just as effective.
Like a ~$3.oo Piezo-Tweeter.

ohmedout

Joined Jan 6, 2024
Don't know if you are still looking for help but I think this setup might meet your needs.
Both modules available from Amazon.
Minimum ON time for the motion sensor is 1 minute but the capacitor only allows the relay to activate for 1 second.

View attachment 312131
That is the missing piece I was looking for Thankyou :) Just needed a diagram to see how it all works together. Would a 200uf cap double the activate time?

ohmedout

Joined Jan 6, 2024
There are probably quite a few other, much lower Power, "Noise-Makers" that would be just as effective.
Like a ~$3.oo Piezo-Tweeter.

Cat "A" does not like vacumn cleaners, Cat "B" does not care about vacumns. Cat "A" is being a Bi$ch to cat "B" and needs to be kept out of that room.

We were good with just cat "A", but then found cat "B" in a ditch all alone in the country only 4 weeks old, so ended up just adopting it, hence the current issue with two cats :p

Attachments

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Cat "A" does not like vacumn cleaners, Cat "B" does not care about vacumns. Cat "A" is being a Bi$ch to cat "B" and needs to be kept out of that room.
You didn't say you had two cats originally. The setup I show may not work to your liking because the relay module cannot reset until the motion detector resets, meaning there is a 1 minute delay.
If Cat "B" enters the room first and activates the vacuum then 30 seconds later Cat"A" comes into the room the vacuum will not turn ON!
Might need a motion detector with a shorter ON time like this from Amazon, Sensky BS010H
1704923276483.png

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Note that any other motion in the area will trigger the motor. That is a lot of abusive action on a very expensive noise maker.

Consider an MP3 module triggered by the motion sensor. A $5 unit can record up to 2 minutes, so record the vacuum cleaner starting up. Everything is on Amazon and ebay.

ak

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I use regular motion sensors, normally used for security lighting, rated to switch on a pair of 100 watt floodlights, in the "TEST" mode, which tends to switch on and off quite rapidly. One of those might be adequate in itself, depending on how much current the vacuum draws.
There are thwo varieties of the security motion sensor, one uses an actual relay to do the switching, the other uses a solid state device, and will destroy CFL tubes almost instantly. The tell-tale is the relay click when it triggers. The on time may be several seconds, but that may work as well.