Need micro sized dc dc converters... How to find?

bigjoncoop

Joined Feb 1, 2019
Hey fellaz,

I'm looking for micro sized- Buck converters, DC-DC converters.

I have found some on Google and eBay but I don't know how to specifically search for them besides typing in micro/mini dc-dc converter...

I've included some pictures of exactly what I'm looking for. I need them to be fixed output and preferably with castellated edges. And handle 26+ volts / 6s input.
I need some with 5v output and some with 12v output. @ 3+ amps

They need should be as small as possible and with a low profile inductor also.

I'm not sure if Mouser or digi-key or similar places would carry such an item or if it would be strictly an eBay or aliexpress type of thing. But again I don't know what Search terms to use in order to find them..

Thanks
755c3d0d-3650-4653-84ee-465e233a3370.jpgmatek-micro-bec-2_1000x1000.jpg$_12.jpeg

bigjoncoop

Joined Feb 1, 2019
@SamR
Thx, but unfortunately those don't meet the specifications that I need.

@KeithWalker
Trying to design a diy PDB(power distribution board) for fpv quadcopters. I realize there are a bunch on the market already for numerous reasons would like to create my own.

The total dimensions of the PCB is about 32mm x 32mm. But the total space for two buck converters is only about maximum 20mm x 20mm...

Like I said I had found some Buck converter voltage regulator boars better about small enough but I'm just wondering if there is a specific search term I should be using to find more of them.

I may just design my own switching regulators if I cannot find more of what I'm looking for...

Here is what I'm trying to design and why I'm looking for pre-made tiny voltage regulators. I would like to have the voltage regulators separate from the main distribution board and you castellated edges to solder them onto it.
lumenier-4power-plus-pdb.jpg

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
what’s special about the distribution panel? If you need it super small perhaps you should design the buck and boost convertors needed. 20x20mm is pretty small for 2 units. Add a castellated board which will need soldering to boards and added thickness of PCB. Unnecessary weight.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Since most of the quadcopter parts are coming from china, I would expect it to be on AliX. No clue as to the keyword though.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
@SamR
Thx, but unfortunately those don't meet the specifications that I need.

@KeithWalker
Trying to design a diy PDB(power distribution board) for fpv quadcopters. I realize there are a bunch on the market already for numerous reasons would like to create my own.

The total dimensions of the PCB is about 32mm x 32mm. But the total space for two buck converters is only about maximum 20mm x 20mm...

Like I said I had found some Buck converter voltage regulator boars better about small enough but I'm just wondering if there is a specific search term I should be using to find more of them.

I may just design my own switching regulators if I cannot find more of what I'm looking for...

Here is what I'm trying to design and why I'm looking for pre-made tiny voltage regulators. I would like to have the voltage regulators separate from the main distribution board and you castellated edges to solder them onto it.
View attachment 223213
Digikey, Avnet, Newark are three REPUTABLE dealers of electronic components and assemblies. ebay and similar sites are not good sources for good parts. Go to their on line catalog and look for DC to DC power supplies Usually you will find a large selection.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I know what a "quadcopter" is, but we have no clue as to what "fpv" describes. You explained pdb, Power Distribution Board, but we still are missing details about the over-all device. And certainly the prop motors of a quad-copter do not need a regulated voltage supply. The motor voltage is adjusted to provide the required flight actions, no other control is needed.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I can help with some of the terminology and how it works

FPV = first person view as in a camera with headset used for racing and complex maneuvers

the motors speed is controlled using PWM.

All the electronics need 5VDC including radio, servos (some run higher up to 12VDC although rare in drones) and included in the radio is a microcontroller that demux radio data and provides the correct signal to the servos and the motor speed controls. Many of the FPV drone have onboard IMU which provide full telemetry including compass, baro, gyro sometimes even more sensors for collision avoidance. They have come a long way.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, and yest the motor speed is varied by the use of PWM, so I should have said "motor power". And bottom line the effective drive is adjusted to provide a specific action, not a voltage.
And thanks for the explanation of FPV, I would not have guessed that at all. It sounds like the TS is wanting to produce a custom device to win competitions. Interesting.
Switch-mode regulators make sense for the rest of the electronics, and simple mosfet switches for controlling the prop motors, since there is no braking or reversal needed, unless there is a requirement for inverted flight.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I believe he only needs regulation circuits to complete a power distruibution board, Im curious as to why but I haven’t seen an answer, I‘m waiting to share answers he need to complete his project.