Need Instructions to Configure Battery Pack with on/off switch to LED for Costume

Azayaka

Joined Dec 21, 2015
Okay, so I have pretty limited knowledge of lighting configurations so I need some step by step instructions. I'm making a costume which will require a high power LED, around 10,000 lux, to be attached to a power source with an on/off switch. Let me first say that weight is not a big concern. I haven't picked a light yet, but the size will be a foot across or smaller and as I mentioned, 10,000 lux. The power source, most likely a battery pack(?), must have an on/off switch, OR if I can be instructed on how to configure a separate device which just allows me to switch it on and off, that will work too. So the light will be situated securely above my head and I can keep the battery pack in a backpack, or hopefully, if it's small enough, in my hand. Either way, I need the ability to turn the light on and off with minimal movement, while my hands are down at my sides. So with this information in mind, I want to know how to connect the light to the battery pack. I have soldered before, so if that's what I do then I need to know what wires to solder. If my light has a cord with a plug, do I open it up to solder it and how do I open That's most likely the type of light I would get. And furthermore, how many volts do I need in the battery pack for a 10,000 lux LED? And where should I get such a battery pack, hopefully one that has an on/off switch? And lastly, if this battery pack is substantial in size and I can't keep it in my hand, how do I configure a handheld on/off switch. Any advice is appreciated!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What are the specs on the LED other than the lux. That tells nothing other than the brightness. Forward voltage and current is needed.

Azayaka

Joined Dec 21, 2015
What are the specs on the LED other than the lux. That tells nothing other than the brightness. Forward voltage and current is needed.
I really don't know as I haven't chosen a light yet. I am thinking to buy a light that doesn't require any assembly...like just one you plug in. I was looking at flood lights or those lights you see at construction sites, things you would see at Home Depot. Not sure what other info to provide. I haven't picked a light because I don't know what's needed for the configuration I'm attempting. I am happy to hear a recommendation for a type of LED, though.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Look at the specs of the light. Some of those LED floods will work on 12V and have their own current limitation. The 10W lights are usually around 1 amp.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Okay, so I have pretty limited knowledge of lighting configurations so I need some step by step instructions. I'm making a costume which will require a high power LED, around 10,000 lux, to be attached to a power source with an on/off switch. Let me first say that weight is not a big concern. I haven't picked a light yet, but the size will be a foot across or smaller and as I mentioned, 10,000 lux. The power source, most likely a battery pack(?), must have an on/off switch, OR if I can be instructed on how to configure a separate device which just allows me to switch it on and off, that will work too. So the light will be situated securely above my head and I can keep the battery pack in a backpack, or hopefully, if it's small enough, in my hand. Either way, I need the ability to turn the light on and off with minimal movement, while my hands are down at my sides. So with this information in mind, I want to know how to connect the light to the battery pack. I have soldered before, so if that's what I do then I need to know what wires to solder. If my light has a cord with a plug, do I open it up to solder it and how do I open That's most likely the type of light I would get. And furthermore, how many volts do I need in the battery pack for a 10,000 lux LED? And where should I get such a battery pack, hopefully one that has an on/off switch? And lastly, if this battery pack is substantial in size and I can't keep it in my hand, how do I configure a handheld on/off switch. Any advice is appreciated!
10,000 lux in about a sq foot is about like a 100 watt incandescent light???
Yes, you can get close to that in a 9 V to 12 V LED at about 1 Amp. Like G19653 from Electronic Goldmine.