need hlep for project. please!!!

sasquatch

Joined Mar 23, 2007
hey guys!

i need help for a project im doing but forgot most things, can u please help me? i need a curcuit to controll a winch thats activated by a sensor.

sensor activated > the winch rises for 3 seconds > pause > winch lowers for 3 seconds

any ideas? i need a dcdt switch but what are the other components? i feel so dumb!

any help would be welcome.

thanks guys

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The other components are going to depend on what, specifically you want to do. The Devil dwells in the details, oh yes he does!

Will the winch motor run on AC or DC? Will you use an existing winch assembly or design one yourself? Relay controlled or solid state control? What kind of sensor are you sensing with, and more importantly, how does it work? How will you determine when the winch is in the full up position and in the full down position. Must the pause at the top be 3.00000 seconds, or can it be 3-ish seconds? Will you run on battery power or be plugged in?

At least you've got the on-off switch! (Although an SPST would work just as well.):D

sasquatch

Joined Mar 23, 2007
lol ur right thingmaker 3, the devil is like a lawyer you mean?

the winch is gonna be run from a dc power source (car battery) the winch assembly is an existing one which will be activated by a proximity sensor. i was thinking solid state control cos it will be more robust and verstile. the winch itself will pause for 3-10 seconds'ish it doesnt need to be precise.
i was gonna control the timing with a small program ive wrote, but its getting the components and circuit right. can i use a SPST as it needs to be done automatically, no?:confused:

example: imagine an empty room and when a person walks near the door way, the winch will lower a small tv in the centre of the room from above, pause for 3-10 ish seconds then, pull it back up again.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Your proximity sensor will trigger the event sequence. You need some way of converting the sensor o/p into a digital signal that your stamp/pic/whatever can handle. How that is accomplished will depend on how your proximity sensor works. Devil's gotcha.

You need a limit switch (microswitch, magnetic reed switch, hall effect sensor, photosensor, or something) to tell the stamp/pic/whatever that the winch is in the "down" position. You need another limit switch (same type or different type) to tell the stamp/pic/whatever that the winch is in the "up" position. Interface between the limit switches and the stamp/pic/whatever will depend on what specific technology is used. Devil's gotcha four more times.

You need some means of converting the stamp/pic/whatever o/p to a form usable by the SSRs controlling your winch. Devil's gotcha twice more.

Decision time...

Pick out your pic, select your stamp, or whatever your whatever.

Decide on your "down detector" and ponder the preferences for "pinnacle pinpointer."

Select specific SSRs.

sasquatch

Joined Mar 23, 2007
get me anymore and i'll die of confusion lol. thingmaker3 u r the devil indeed. brilliant and.....brilliant! thank you for helping. am of to make....i hope!

for example

so i can link some type of sensor to a ADC, linked to a carrier board with stamp. the stamp outputs to a DAC tell the switch to activate winch. so i just need a sensor for what position? you think i should through in a RTC some where?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
so i can link some type of sensor to a ADC, linked to a carrier board with stamp.
Depends on the sensor. Some sensors would work this way, others won't. Pick a sensor first.

the stamp outputs to a DAC tell the switch to activate winch.
If your switch can be operated from a DAC, then yes. If your switch cannot be operated from a DAC, then no. What kind of switch have you got?

so i just need a sensor for what position?
For the "up" position and the "down" position.

you think i should through in a RTC some where?
If you want to. It would be one way to determine when the winch was "up" and "down." Expensive, compared to a microswitch - unless you already have an RTC.