Need help with WINE...

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
I have installed wine on my mac and LTSpiveIV. However, I can only get it to work by reinstalling it every time.

If I try to run the command "wine ltspiveiv.exe" it says that it can't locate it in my virtual windows drive, but it is there!

Gah!!

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
I just downloaded the Parallel trial to check it out. Based on what I am seeing, I need to actually install windows in order to run windows programs?

Yep, but it's real Windows running under a virtual machine. XP is fine for most stuff and can be had for only a few dollars. You could also use bootcamp and your Mac becomes a real Windows computer.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
I can second the recommendation for Parallels. It costs money and you need real windows OS, but it works great. You can run coherent mode with both Mac and Windows running perfectly together.

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
I have checked with Microsoft and I can Win 7 for 65.00 with my student pricing. However, I don't know if this will be a smart move because it's going to be more demanding, isn't it?

I have the standard 13" Macbook pro and I don't want to kill what little memory and CPU speed I have with such a powerful OS when XP will do as mentioned earlier.

Run bootcamp then, it's free and included with OSX. You still need a Windows install but it lets you choose OSX or Windows on bootup. Windows 7 will be fine on your 13" MacBook Pro. I'm using one now. I use XP and Parallels because of old software like Frontpage that hates Win7.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I use VirtualBox which is free and a copy of Win XP which came with an OEM computer (which I never installed, so I think it's okay.) I use this on Ubuntu, but I imagine it works equally well on a Mac OS X system.

Last edited:

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
YES!!! When there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks for your help guys, I almost bought Parallels AND Windows 7 just to be able to have LT Spice on my Mac...