Need help with Volt-Free / Dry Contact Relay

mykkah

Joined Feb 8, 2023
Hey all,

I've been using a RIB CLC212 Closet Volt-Free Relay to control an on off feature on a chest freezer. I've got a timer on the unit as well and everything is currently being ran on a DIN rail apart from the RIB relay. Just wondering if anyone knows of a better relay that's more economical and perhaps DIN mountable? Using dry contacts to complete the circuit for when the door is open or closed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not sure why the stress is on Dry-Contact?
The usual definition is a contact that does not actually switch when current is likely to flow, IOW it is Power enable, but not Power switch action.

mykkah

Joined Feb 8, 2023
Not sure why the stress is on Dry-Contact?
The usual definition is a contact that does not actually switch when current is likely to flow, IOW it is Power enable, but not Power switch action.
I think I understand what you’re saying. The reason I put dry contact is because that’s the mechanism for which I need the relay to be controlled - that and volt-free.

these contacts are simple magnet switches thus the are not powered which is the hard part in sourcing something similar. I’ve not actually opened up the RIB relay to indeed verify that it’s volt-free, but that’s the premise.

For now I’m just looking for other options surrounding hardware the performs similarly to the RIB CLC212

mykkah

Joined Feb 8, 2023
hi Myk,
Is a Reed relay operated by a permanent magnet suitable for lid open or closed detect?
E
Yes, thats what I'm using right now. As you know the magnets give the circuit continuity which then causes the relay to activate and send power to the freezer unit itself. it in essence keeps the unit from running if the door is left open. The RIB relay works great for this, but it's costly and takes up space. Ideally I was looking for something mountable to replace it as well.

Here is an image of the reed I'm using:

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It seems like the goal is to switch off the compressor power when ever the door/lid to the freezer is opened, and then to switch it back on when the door is closed. That is a very effective way of assuring that the compressor motor will be trying to start against a head of pressure quite often. Or is the timer some how part of that arrangement so that it resets every time the freezer is opened? There is a fair amount of explanation missing here. As for the "dry contacts/ voltage free requirement, WHY??? A simple normally open time delay relay that closes contacts after a few minutes of having power applied, and keeps them closed until power is removed, is all that you need.
But we have no hint about the current that the freezer portion draws so I can not suggest a contact rating. OR is the freezer controlled by a low powered thermostat circuit?? Walk in freezers often have electronic controls.
But that is not mentioned. So more information is needed.

mykkah

Joined Feb 8, 2023
It seems like the goal is to switch off the compressor power when ever the door/lid to the freezer is opened, and then to switch it back on when the door is closed. That is a very effective way of assuring that the compressor motor will be trying to start against a head of pressure quite often. Or is the timer some how part of that arrangement so that it resets every time the freezer is opened? There is a fair amount of explanation missing here. As for the "dry contacts/ voltage free requirement, WHY??? A simple normally open time delay relay that closes contacts after a few minutes of having power applied, and keeps them closed until power is removed, is all that you need.
But we have no hint about the current that the freezer portion draws so I can not suggest a contact rating. OR is the freezer controlled by a low powered thermostat circuit?? Walk in freezers often have electronic controls.
But that is not mentioned. So more information is needed.
Yes you are correct with your assumptions. I will outline below the project specifications so you are better informed on what I'm trying to accomplish.

USE:
I'm using a small chest freezer more like a refrigerator to hold water 45 degree water. I've built a platform where I can sit and soak my legs in the water after cycling. Currently I am using Temp Controller, two DIN 16A breakers, a magnetic reed switch to control a RIB CLC212 Relay which supplies power to the freezer and a DIN mount timer to control an external aquarium filter that I put inside the unit to periodically clean the water.

GOAL:
I would like to kill the power supply to the chest freezer when the lid is lifted to remove the risk of electrical shock. Considerations must be taken into account to not short cycle the compressor as well as a time delay to let the compressors head pressure dissipate.

NEED:
I'm trying to figure out how to use the reed switch (pictured) to control a relay, that controls the power supply to the freezer and then delays reconnection of power back to the device once the door has been closed. This will prevent someone quickly opening and shutting the door which would damage the freezers compressor from the quick on/off action. I know this would be a series of relays, but I wasn't sure what kind or how.

NOTE* If a read switch is not the right mechanism for this to work I'm ok with that, I just dont know how else to do this?

Please let me know if you need more information.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the object is to reduce risk then the means of detection should be via isolated LV supply in order to control the contactors.
Otherwise it would defeat the object to have HV, non-isolated detection.

mykkah

Joined Feb 8, 2023
If the object is to reduce risk then the means of detection should be via isolated LV supply in order to control the contactors.
Otherwise it would defeat the object to have HV, non-isolated detection.
I thought about using a 24V power supply to control a LV contact relay which would then trigger a time delay relay, but I wasn't sure what the reed switch could handle.

REED SWITCH SPECS:
Rated Voltage: 100V;Contact Capacity: 500(mA) (Maximum Switch Current), Rated Power: 10W(Maximum Switch Power);

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For starters, that relay package only breaks one side of the feed. So if all is wired correctly that will be OK. EXCEPT THAT the switching element is possibly a semiconductor device and that might have a snubber across it, giving several milliamps of leakage current. Or it could just as easily be a mechanical relay with contact protection.
There are readily available industrial timers with double-pole ten amp contacts, and an isolated "run" control input, contact closer triggered. These are available with delayed make, meaning that after a set time of the input trigger contacts being closed, the heavy contacts close and remain closed until the input trigger opens. The plan would be to order one with a delay adjustable to five minutes, or whatever time is wanted.

The cheap and easier alternative is to arrange the power cord so that opening the lid causes the freezer power to be unplugged. With a bit of effort the time to plug back in can be long enough to allow the pressure to bleed down.
Of course what is unknown who else may be quickly opening and closing the freezer. Or what part of the world they are in. Timer availability is not consistent around the world.

mykkah

Joined Feb 8, 2023
For starters, that relay package only breaks one side of the feed. So if all is wired correctly that will be OK. EXCEPT THAT the switching element is possibly a semiconductor device and that might have a snubber across it, giving several milliamps of leakage current. Or it could just as easily be a mechanical relay with contact protection.
There are readily available industrial timers with double-pole ten amp contacts, and an isolated "run" control input, contact closer triggered. These are available with delayed make, meaning that after a set time of the input trigger contacts being closed, the heavy contacts close and remain closed until the input trigger opens. The plan would be to order one with a delay adjustable to five minutes, or whatever time is wanted.

The cheap and easier alternative is to arrange the power cord so that opening the lid causes the freezer power to be unplugged. With a bit of effort the time to plug back in can be long enough to allow the pressure to bleed down.
Of course what is unknown who else may be quickly opening and closing the freezer. Or what part of the world they are in. Timer availability is not consistent around the world.
My goal is to make this as seamless and dummy proof as possible. I ride with a group of men who are asking me to replicate what I'm using for them, hence I'm trying to make it safe... I can electrocute myself with very little moral guilt, but doing it to others is a different story haha!

So the controller that I'm trying to develop is a waterproof outdoor junction box that is isolated from the freezer I'm talking about. Apart from the magnetic reed switch (which is sealed) there is no contact with the freezer apart from its OEM power cord which travels into this junction box. The current RIB CLC212 relay that I'm using is the devices switching the power line to load.

Could you link an example of the industrial timers your referring to?