Need help with remote control electromagnet and relay

joesandiego

Joined Jul 9, 2015
So I am trying to use a remote control relay to turn on/off a very small electromagnet. When I connect the magnet directly to the battery, it works! I can magnetize the magnet and pick stuff up. The relay remote is linked to the relay unit and I can hear the relay click back and forth when I use the remote control. The issue is, I can not figure out how to connect the magnet to the relay! I am not an electronic engineer, I am just a tinkerer.... but this is for a theatrical product and I really need to make this work. Any help would be so appreciated. I have added a couple photos for your review. I feel like I have tried every combination of wiring, but I can't make it work. Please help? Thanks!!!!!!!! Joe

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need to apply +ve power to the COM terminal, and -one lead of the magnet to the NO terminal, the other lead of the magnet to the negative lead of the battery and the other lead of the magnet.
In some cases you need a reverse shot to demag if you have a problem of not release.
What is the current for the magnet? It may need a higher capacity battery.
Max.

joesandiego

Joined Jul 9, 2015
so, i still can't seem to get it to work. Like I said, if I connect the battery directly to the magnet, it works. I am not sure how to check the dc resistance. I used my multimeter and checked the battery. it is ready 10.64v guessing it has dropped since I have been using it all day trying to get this thing to work. Not sure what to check next. When the positive lead goes from the battery to the positive terminal to the COM, does it lose power? Is that possible? any thoughtS?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I have to agree with Max:
If using that battery, but it looks a little underpowered, check the DC resistance or the normal current.
My guess is when it tries to engage the magnet and associated circuit are loading down that small battery. You really need to know what the load is (how much current the magnet draws) and how much current your battery can easily supply. The wiring scheme looks OK as was mentioned.

Ron

joesandiego

Joined Jul 9, 2015
I have to agree with Max:

My guess is when it tries to engage the magnet and associated circuit are loading down that small battery. You really need to know what the load is (how much current the magnet draws) and how much current your battery can easily supply. The wiring scheme looks OK as was mentioned.

Ron
I would say you are right. The battery seems to be losing it's charge pretty quick. I checked the leads various ways on the relay and when I switch things on and off, the voltage is changing. The magnet's only identifier says 12v .25A. I wonder if I need a small car battery to run this properly? I was hoping I could run it off a small battery to hide it better....

joesandiego

Joined Jul 9, 2015
I put a new battery in the relay and BAM, it works. I will get a small 12V battery used for bigger things and put a .5 amp fuse on it. That should make it last quite a long time. Thank you all for your help. I will definitely be back. I'm heading off to look at the textbook sections on this forum. Time to learn this stuff for real.