Need help with OLD Westinghouse DC generator

weberhermit

Joined Mar 29, 2019
I've got an OLD Westinghouse 40 VDC 5A generator. Type FK, Series AZ, Style 1178609-B, Compound winding, 2800 RPM. Originally it was the DC power source for a 1950s era IBM punch card reader. I'd like to use it for low head hydro (Banki) but there's zero info about it on the web. Basically I need to know how to wire it. Any ideas? Does this critter need excitation capacitors, and if so, what size? I've tried spinning it with an electric motor but get no output from any of the terminals. There's about 8 ohms between S2 and A2, 43 ohms between S2 and F2L2, and 50 ohms between A1 and F2L2, infinite resistance between all terminals and the generator frame. Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Thanks
Attached is a pic of the terminals

Markings on terminals are:

TERMINAL MARKING CONNECTION
Top S1 F1 capped, unconnected
Upper middle S2
Center A1 no terminal present
Lower middle A2
Bottom F2 L2

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Put your ohm meter on the terminals, and turn the dynamo and see which pair vary in resistance, this will be the Brushes output. The other set of terminals will be the Field winding.

A Dynamo will Self Excite if the Field and Output are in Parallel the correct way round.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Seems to me you have stumbled upon little timmy's failed science fair project from 1956. Missing terminals that should be there, the rest tied together in ways it should not be. I would try applying a current limiting DC source to whatever two terminals have the highest resistance, and then try spinning it with a motor and see what happens.

weberhermit

Joined Mar 29, 2019
Put your ohm meter on the terminals, and turn the dynamo and see which pair vary in resistance, this will be the Brushes output. The other set of terminals will be the Field winding.

A Dynamo will Self Excite if the Field and Output are in Parallel the correct way round.
Dodgydave, I did as you suggested, tried different combinations of connections and PRESTO, 40+ VDC! Many Thanks!