Need help with custom Case

Boris Davenport

Joined Aug 4, 2016
Hi, I recently made a fleet monitoring system. I need help with assembling the entire unit under single packaging with the low form factor. I don't have any idea how to assemble all these modules under a single packaging. Please help me. The module consists of
  • *2x Arduino UNO boards
  • *battery 12v
  • *GPS sensor
  • * LCD display
  • *Buzzer
  • *GSM module + External antenna
Please help me on this matter. All these are connected using single strand wires. I need advice from those who had previously completed such projects.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
A picture of the modules you are using would help get better and faster answers.

Here are some quick thoughts to get you started:

Keep in mind that GPS sensor may need an antenna as well. If you put the project into a metal box, which is advised, then the antennas must be outside the box.

What is important in a project like this is to keep the different circuits from "talking" to each other (interfering) in ways that are not intended. This can happen through the power supply, ground wiring and wires going between modules. Proper grounding is _very_ important. Typically a star ground is best but a ground plane/plate may also be helpful.

Signals that go between modules may need to be coax or at least twisted pairs to minimize coupling or pickup from other wires. Some shielding of individual modules may be needed.

The display may be a problem if it has a ribbon cable for its connection. If it interferes with other modules, one solution I have seen used is to put the cable through a large toroid core.

Boris Davenport

Joined Aug 4, 2016
Which one is better a plastic box or metallic box to avoid interference, I know that those metallic boxes can minimize the external interferences (cage effect)

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hi, I recently made a fleet monitoring system. I need help with assembling the entire unit under single packaging with the low form factor. I don't have any idea how to assemble all these modules under a single packaging. Please help me. The module consists of
  • *2x Arduino UNO boards
  • *battery 12v
  • *GPS sensor
  • * LCD display
  • *Buzzer
Please help me on this matter. All these are connected using single strand wires. I need advice from those who had previously completed such projects.
I build all above on one board except display. (approx. 99 x52 mm)
I used a Bopla box IP67 125 x 60 x 45mm approx. allowing to carry all above plus cell 7.2V 2000mA/H. (12V is possible)
But be aware that you need Bopa Ip67 and saltwater certificate.
Picbuster

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Hi Boris,
The photo's are not to good but there are two prints.
Big box ip 67 small box ip65
left one: usbslave + gps
right one: USB slave + USB memory stick + connection to a extension board ( mounted at back site)
both are able to handle;
two alarms.
GPS /gsm/ftp/e-mail battery voltage measurement
and several sizes of LCD displays big one 2 x 20 small one 4 x 20.
Voltage measurement input dc<25V
Both will run on 6.5-16V DC
in sleep 50 micro Amp @ 7.2V approx.
all unused pins are mounted on pin headers.
All voltage are software controlled ( except main cpu 3v3)
All based on Pic18f8722 / Vincullum 32pin / simcom900b ( becomes obsolete) and fmp3906 GPS

To give you an Idea here is part of the .H file ( example Lcd_Pwr = On; // this makes it readable or To_Pic = Aux; // aux device connected to Pic

#define On 1
#define Off 0
#define Alive_led PORTDbits.RD0 // keep alive led
#define Lcd_Pwr PORTDbits.RD2 //
#define Batt_Pwr PORTDbits.RD3 //
#define Aux42V PORTJbits.RJ7 // in combination with GSM_PWR
// -------------- GSM -----------------------------------------
#define GSM_Pwr PORTJbits.RJ1 //
#define GSM_PWRkey PORTJbits.RJ0 // reset pulse normal high off 2 sec low allow software switch off
//---------------- serial communication power ------------------
#define Vinc_Pwr PORTJbits.RJ3 //
#define RS485 PORTJbits.RJ2 // power for rs485
#define Aux_Pwr PORTDbits.RD1 // extern connection
#define MUX_Pwr PORTJbits.RJ4 // power for mux
//---------------- serial communication mux / demux data direction -----------
#define To_Pic PORTJbits.RJ6 // To_Pic = Aux; or To_Pic = USB;
#define From_Pic PORTJbits.RJ5 //
#define Aux 1
#define USB 0
//---------------- inputs ------------------
#define Puls_in0 PORTBbits.RB1 //
#define Puls_in1 PORTBbits.RB2 //
#define USB_Slave_In PORTBbits.RB0 // Usb plug found 5V
#define To_Gsm 1
#define To_Usb 0

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
1 off? You will make a million of them?
Define "low form factor"?
price range?
marking?
interface?
etc...

What standards are/did you design to? UL? CSA? and hundreds more...
Personally I have no idea what standards a "fleet monitoring system" needs to meet.. I'd hope you do..
An enclosure is just an enclosure.. There are so many details/specifics that are needed I'm not sure what help you are expecting..
emi/emc compliance?
vibration?
esd?
earthquake?
fire/flame resistance?
lightning protection?
ip rating?
and on and on and on and on..

Here are a few more "enclosure" manufacturers to add to the list from MrChips..
https://www.polycase.com/
https://www.okwenclosures.com/en
http://www.toollessplasticenclosures.com/
http://www.envplastics.com/
google has hundreds more..

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
  • *2x Arduino UNO boards
  • *battery 12v
  • *GPS sensor
  • * LCD display
  • *Buzzer
You can't get help from companies that manufacture custom boxes?