Need help with controlling an LED

Steelroller45236

Joined May 8, 2008
Hi All,

First timer here.... be gentle.

I am building a guitar amp footswitch. I need to use two momentary switches which I have but I would like to be able to have an LED display status of each switch. Either on or off.... sounds simple however no voltages seem to be present at the footswitch so I can run it with a 9v or less battery.

The switches can't be push on/push off....they have to be momentary.

I have basic skills when it comes to reading circuits....so part value numbers are needed. And yes, I can solder. :>)

Can anybody help???

Thanks, Wayne

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Can you show a simple schematic to help explain? If there are no voltages present what are you switching?

Steelroller45236

Joined May 8, 2008
Hi Bill,
I'm not to good with drawing diagrams but maybe Ican explain it better....

The amplifier has a 3 cond. 1/4" jack on it that is for controlling channel switching (clean and distorted channels) and reverb on/off. It connects via a 3 cond. cable down to a remote footpedal on the floor away from the amp with 2 momentary contact pushbutton switches. I want to be able to have LED's display the status of the switches. One LED to show reverb on or off and the other LED to show channel selection (Clean or dirty). The only time there is a voltage at the switch seems to be when the switch is depressed. Is that a better explanation? Thanks

Steelroller45236

Joined May 8, 2008
Ok, I just verified it.... they are N.C. I tried a push on push off switch and you have to press it twice to change a function. So this lets out using that type of switch. It must be a momentary switch. And I tried working an LED from it but it only lights when the switch is depressed....which is doesn't provide the visual feedback I need.

Now a new twist and a new question.... is there a simple circuit that would allow a momentary switch that allows a tap tempo function of an extrenal dealy unit to have a LED flash in time with the tap tempo. The head unit has one but it would be in back of me onstage. It would be great to see that tempo from the floor.