Need help with a wind voltage (diversion) regulator

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
As far as charging your batteries;
Modern electronically controlled chargers use several different phases:
1) Bulk charge - This is when the battery is heavily discharged. High constant-current charging occurs until the battery is approximately 80% charged.
2) Absorption charge - The battery is charged at a constant voltage (roughly 14.4v, but varies by the battery internal temperature) until about 98% charged.
3) Float charge - The battery is charged at a lower voltage than phase 2), actual voltage is determined by internal battery temperature and battery construction.

Occasionally, standard "wet-cell" lead-acid batteries must be given a maintenance "leveling" overcharge to stir the electrolyte.

n8ure

Joined Nov 27, 2008
Ok I have to bring the noob in me out in full force right now.

1). According to http://www.survivalunlimited.com/hornetwindturbine.htm#ht1 the graph shows my peak output at 60-70mph wind will be just over 1000W/12V = 83.3 amps. Less wind, lower amperage. By this equation though, why would I need a voltage regulator? This is what confuses me when the output is in Watts, the equipment you are explaining to me is in amps, and I started by looking for a voltage regulator. I can't relate all these things well enough to fully comprehend whats going on.

2.) If the power MOSFET has a gate at 10V, wouldn't that trickle charge the batteries at all times? Secondly, how does a 10V gate releasing to a dump load keep the batteries charged at 14.4V? Or is it the amperage I am not thinking about.....

3.) If I hook this power MOSFET up you suggested, would I still need a voltage regulator to prevent too much power from entering the dump/battery system?

4.) I don't really understand the parts where you talk about power needed for on/off switching. My windmill will be up at my cabin, which I go to every other weekend or so, so I need the system to function at all times, with or without the windmill spinning, and with the batteries charged or not. Does that change anything?

5.) I will wait with more questions because I have a feeling a response to the above questions may clear up some of my confusion.

I appreciate all the help thus far though!

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
Ok I have to bring the noob in me out in full force right now.

1). According to http://www.survivalunlimited.com/hornetwindturbine.htm#ht1 the graph shows my peak output at 60-70mph wind will be just over 1000W/12V = 83.3 amps. Less wind, lower amperage. By this equation though, why would I need a voltage regulator? This is what confuses me when the output is in Watts, the equipment you are explaining to me is in amps, and I started by looking for a voltage regulator. I can't relate all these things well enough to fully comprehend whats going on.

Where there is watts being consumed or generated there are amps flowing. Watts = volts X amps. In your application a voltage and/or current regulator would be a required part of the battery charger section.

2.) If the power MOSFET has a gate at 10V, wouldn't that trickle charge the batteries at all times? Secondly, how does a 10V gate releasing to a dump load keep the batteries charged at 14.4V? Or is it the amperage I am not thinking about.....

The MOSFET the good Sgt. is talking about would be used in the switching off or on deverting some or all of the generator output from the charging system to the load dump. This would dissapate unneeded power being generated in the form of heat. I'm not up to speed with the current wind generator tech but I seemed to recall reading that the purpose of a load devertor/dump subsystem is to be able to supply a breaking force for the generator under high wind conditions and when the generated power can't be consumed, otherwise there would be a danger of overspeeding the prop and mechanical damage. It seems that the higher cost professional wind generators have systems to control the prop pitch to prevent damage from overspeed and therefore may not require a load dump subsystem.

3.) If I hook this power MOSFET up you suggested, would I still need a voltage regulator to prevent too much power from entering the dump/battery system?

Voltage regulation would be part of the battery charging circuit system I would think.

4.) I don't really understand the parts where you talk about power needed for on/off switching. My windmill will be up at my cabin, which I go to every other weekend or so, so I need the system to function at all times, with or without the windmill spinning, and with the batteries charged or not. Does that change anything?

The load dump/diversion unit if used and needed, has to be controlled by something such that the generator always has a load applied to it. That implies some kind of control circuit that knows how much power is being taken by the load (charger/battery/power users) and consumes the excess being produced by the generator during high wind conditions

5.) I will wait with more questions because I have a feeling a response to the above questions may clear up some of my confusion.

I appreciate all the help thus far though!
It would seem to me that a constructive approch forward would be to have a diagram/drawing/specifications of the whole system, starting with wind properties, prop specifications, generator specifications, regulator/charger, battery section, load diversion section and of course the load users (what is consuming power and how much power do they draw.) Once such a document is in hand and can be shared, then comments and suggestions can be made on requirements or suggested improvements to each of the sub-sections. A system approach is more likely to result in the best overall system performance.

n8ure

Joined Nov 27, 2008
I managed to talk to an electrical engineer yesterday who works with power circuits and from what we discussed I think I am going to take this to a wind forum of some kind. He raised a number of questions that may be more specific to wind generators.

For instance- My windmill is rated at 12V, but is not regulated. This means the voltage is changing. But the question is, does it change from ~6-12V? Does it change from 12-17V? What range does it experience as turbine RPM's change? If it experiences less than 12V at low speeds, then I would need a DC to DC converter to up the voltage. If it experiences power above 12V only, then I only need a basic charge controller with a dump.

Also, referring to the MOSFET with a 10V cutoff, I couldn't charge my battery with 10V. The charge needs to be above ~12-13V otherwise it would draw energy from the batteries.

You are all making this too complicated. I just wanted to buy a product, and hook it up. Here is most likely what I am going to do that with now. Even has a great diagram as to how it hooks up. I just have to make sure my voltage levels won't exceed ~17V coming from the generator. Maybe spin it by hand and use a multimeter with a load attached.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-Charge-Contr...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
You don't just insert numbers in into a circuit without knowing the input. Each wind generator has its own unique specifications. As does each location.
What is your average wind speed? And how often is that speed reached?
Your best load dump is a heater, or a light bulb.
Give information that is useful.
I have two wind generators in my backyard, so I am with you.
Dan

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm not trying to complicate things.

You want a simple solution to a complex situation brought on by the unusual mix of batteries in your bank.

Somehow, you believe that a simple and cheap solution should be fourthcoming for your current dilemma.

That's just not going to happen.

You have an oddball mix of batteries with diverse chemistries and construction, with a different set of charging and maintenance requirements, and somehow think that there should be a simple and cheap solution.

I would be lying to you if I said that there were such a solution.

If your batteries have been in service for a couple of years, they are very likely at the end of their lives due to the maltreatment they've suffered. A further (relatively) brief period of time will prove me correct.

Getting "off the grid" is a great thing. However, there are plenty of nuances involved.

Each battery needs to be treated as an individual. While each battery of a specific manufacturer's make and model may have started off identical to thousands of other batteries, it will take on it's unique characteristics over it's lifetime, and suffer it's ultimate demise in it's own way.

As an individual, you can't hope to monitor every battery in a large bank of cells. You need a microcontroller to monitor them for you, and to properly administer the charging, dependent upon their individually allowable charge rate, the current available, battery core temperature, faults detected, etc.

You really need a hands-off solution. Can't offer you one at the moment. But it would be a cool project. ;)

nagaloo

Joined Jan 27, 2009
N8ture have you found an internal lay out of the frord regulator? The link you gave just shows the set up on the car. I am looking for one in some books I have. I am wondering if with a dc 12 volt "contactor" single pole double throw, hooked to the field terminal you could direct the output to either batteries or your dump zone?