Need help to ID, and source a transformer

Surg

Joined Jan 7, 2009
It is used as a signal doubler for RPM's aboard a yacht.
It has 6 prongs with 3 a side. The lettering on the side says "9552 Malaysia"

Can anyone help me ID and source this item? Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Yes, the pictures came through.

Do you have an ohmmeter? If the transformer hasn't failed open or gone totally short, it would be interesting to have resistance readings across each of the windings - by which I mean the pairs of terminals (prongs) with common red and black wires running to them.

I'm working on the assumption that the tach output is an AC signal, and that this is more an impedance matcher than actual transformer. I could also be wrong, and the readouts are really voltmeters in disguise, rather than the transformer feeding some pulse counting circuit.

Do the output wires attach directly to the tachometer gauges, or lead to circuit boards?

Bet the original manufacturer has gone out of business, too.

Surg

Joined Jan 7, 2009
43 ohms on one set
35 on another set
open on another set.

One set of leads run to the gauges (tachometer)
The second set run to the the syncroniser.

The BOM on the label calls it a "Signal Doubler"
Outdated item, and I don't feel like paying $$$ for this when all it is is that one item.

What do you think?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Can you say which reading is on the input leads?

Another way to determine which is which - does only one tach read, or are both dead?

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I'm off to see what I can dig up. Naturally, my catalogs are full of power transformers, so there will be some guesswork as to a substitute device. I may not dig something up until tomorrow.

Anyone else with ideas, feel free to contribute.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I'm not sure how the marine supply house would describe it, but it is a very light power transformer.

Your diesel(s) must spin a small generator that is the tachoneter source. The voltage out will vary with the RPM's. The frequency of the voltage waveform also varies, but that is not what is being used. The transformer splits the voltage waveform for the main a and flying bridge locations. From the resistance readings, it sounds as if it also reduces the voltage by about .8 to each tachometer.

That means that the tachometers are actually AC voltmeters. There must be some calibration somewhere to make them respond accurately to the voltage and display the correct RPM.

The fun part is that I have absolutely no idea of the range of voltage here. And my catalogs are full of transformers for different purposes. I could make a guess and suggest you buy one or two, but prices are up, and that would have you investing $50 into an experiment with no confidence of a successful outcome.

One idea did come to mind. The winding resistance is pretty high. That usually speaks for lots of turns of fine wire. If you can carefully desolder and remove the leads from the open winding and expose the terminals better, you may find that one end of the fine wire it's wound with has come loose. If that is the case, you have a good chance of resoldering it and restoring the transformer. I did this same thing on the timer motor winding in a microwave oven.

The windings are done with magnet wire, which is insulated by a coating of enamel paint. It's interesting to remove. If you have enough length, scraping with a small knife blade held at a right angle works. Otherwise, you need to hold a pad wet with some remover like acetone on it to dissolve the enamel.

If that works, the ohmmeter will tell you that continuity is restored. Replace the leads and all will be well.

I'm afraid to suggest substitute transformers, as the voltage out to the tachs has to be very close, or they will be way off. There will also be no way to make up for the incorrect level.

If you can't fix it, try talking to someone at a marine supply house - maybe they know of a substitute part.

Surg

Joined Jan 7, 2009
Great info, Thanks.

I think it is damaged from water intrusion. Theres a bit of rust at the base.

I should hear back from a dealer today pending availability.

Surg

Joined Jan 7, 2009
It was made by Stancore, and the part number is TTPC-9.
Does anyone know where to source this or a replacement from?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Persistence pays -these people have them - http://octopart.com/info/Stancor/TTPC-9.

Take a look at the PDF file, though. The -9 part only has 4 terminals. I would want to check to see which dash number you're dealing with. I think the one with one primary and two separate secondary windings should be correct.

By the way, telco coupling transformers are only slightly less common than dirt - Mouser and Digi-Key also carry them. Just be sure of the particular one you need.

At $6.00 a pop, you can get a couple with different configurations (but with 6 pins) and find the right one by experiment.

Last edited:

Surg

Joined Jan 7, 2009
Thanks.

The one I have has 6 legs or terminals.
your telling me the -9 partnumber only has 4. That would not work for me. Which one do you suggest?

Surg

Joined Jan 7, 2009

-1, and -8 look to be compatible, but have different specs.

Funny thing the manufacturer insists its a -9, but your right that the -9 only has 4 legs. They also told me that it was not made anymore, and the replacement is larger.

If you look at the PDF from Stancor it no longer has the -1 & -9 avaliable.
http://www.stancor.com/wrdstc/pdfs/Catalog_2006/Pg_019_20.pdf

The ROHS thing might have something to do with that.

What is DCR?

Surg

Joined Jan 7, 2009
Persistence pays -these people have them - http://octopart.com/info/Stancor/TTPC-9.

Take a look at the PDF file, though. The -9 part only has 4 terminals. I would want to check to see which dash number you're dealing with. I think the one with one primary and two separate secondary windings should be correct.

By the way, telco coupling transformers are only slightly less common than dirt - Mouser and Digi-Key also carry them. Just be sure of the particular one you need.

At $6.00 a pop, you can get a couple with different configurations (but with 6 pins) and find the right one by experiment.

On seccond look it appears that the -9 does indeed appear to have 6 legs according to schematic 4.
Like terminals 1 & 6 is the input, and 3 & 4 are output A, 2 & 5 are output B. Wouldn't this double the input signal to feed two isolated circuits?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Another good catch on your part. I was assigning the different layouts straight to the dash number. have to learn to pay attention.

No, the transformer is acting like a tv signal splitter. Each of the secondaries only get half of the input power, but the signals stay the same. those tachs are just voltmeters, so they just deflect in accordance with the AC voltage through the transformer.

It looks as if you can go through Octopart for the transformer. Clicking 'checkout' brings up another page, and Allied seems to carry the actual transformer. Check Allied and go from there.

And I have to look dumb again - I just checked my favorite supplier. Digi-Key has them in the catalog, but none in stock.

Surg

Joined Jan 7, 2009
I'm having trouble finding this unit in stock.
Can anyone recommend another unit that has the same specs now that we know them?

I only need 3 of them.