Need help selecting a processor or SOC for home gateway

Rahul Shah

Joined Nov 4, 2014
Hi folks,
I am in search of a processor or SOC for development of a home gateway. The base unit is rather a modem and router combined product. That should have at-least following functionality.

1. should get connected to internet provided by ISP (Cable WAN)
2. should have atleast 4 LANs with one PoE LAN
3. LCD Controller
4. PCI-e or equivalent or better bus support
5. ADSL 2+/ VDSL 2 (This is an option)
6. USB Interface
7. SPI and I2C ports
8. SATA or any equivalent bus for memory interfacing

Apart from the above mentioned possibilities I would also want the base unit to take care of extra added modules like NAS, Wifi - 802.11b/g/n and 802.11ac, ADSL 2+, SHDSL 2+, IAD module with FXS ports, Smart home controller, etc.
1. Please suggest me a SOC covering max. possibilities?
2. Which factors should I keep in mind while selecting a processor?
3. On what factors can I compare multiple processors?
4. How can I decide the required bandwidth?
5. Which bus support should I be looking for If I need to add external extra modules? PCIe or mini PCIe or MII??? How long can they all be to communicate with attached modules?

Please help since this is my first processor based high-speed design project.

Thank you,
Rahul Shah

Rahul Shah

Joined Nov 4, 2014
At first I thought you should consider one of the ARM mobile families. Since it will be powered from the wall and not from batteries I've changed my mind and now think you should look into one of the intel Broadwell chips due out in the next few weeks. You'd sure be on the bleeding edge of technology at 14 nm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadwell_(microarchitecture)
Thank you sir,
How exactly do we decide the architecture? What all factors should we keep in mind when selecting a processor for such a product?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would start by figuring out what software you intend to run.
Then I would go down the list of peripherals to see what software they require.
If you have to write too much of it from scratch your project will be delayed past the point of obsolescence.