Need help knowing how much voltage I will get from a tank circuit

Drmario5237

Joined Oct 14, 2018
I've got a tank circuit modified to resonants at 1591 kilohertz and I am wondering if the amount of Hertz is what determines what voltage the circuit will output. When I look up Hertz to electrons volt converters online it says about 6 volts is this the measurement/converter I need to figure out the tank circuits output voltage. Thanks.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've got a tank circuit modified to resonants at 1591 kilohertz and I am wondering if the amount of Hertz is what determines what voltage the circuit will output. When I look up Hertz to electrons volt converters online it says about 6 volts is this the measurement/converter I need to figure out the tank circuits output voltage. Thanks.
Where are you getting 6 V from?

The unit of electron-volt is a measure of energy, not voltage. It's like confusing miles with either miles/hour or miles/gallon.

The energy of a photon is a function of its frequency. A 6 eV photon is well into the ultraviolet.

If this is what you are working from, it has nothing to do with voltages in a tank circuit.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The voltage and currents in a tank circuit of a receiver are quite small. The power levels are generally measured in dB with respect to a milliwatt. -110 to -130 dBm are typical power levels in a high performance receiver. Is that what we are talking about?

If so, 12 orders of magnitude smaller than a milliwatt is a femtowatt. A femtowatt of power could be 1 picoamp at 1 millivolt, or more likely a nanoamp at 1 microvolt. These are really tiny numbers in case you are unfamiliar with the standard prefixes.

I'm just curious -- what order of magnitude were you expecting?

Last edited:

Drmario5237

Joined Oct 14, 2018
Where are you getting 6 V from?

The unit of electron-volt is a measure of energy, not voltage. It's like confusing miles with either miles/hour or miles/gallon.

The energy of a photon is a function of its frequency. A 6 eV photon is well into the ultraviolet.

If this is what you are working from, it has nothing to do with voltages in a tank circuit.
Then how do I know the input voltage of the tank circuit if the input is 1591 kilohertz electromagnetic wave?

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It's not being driven I don't think. It's like a analog circuit. A tank circuit with a antenna , diode, one other cApsitor and speakers .
The voltage output is irrelevant since you probably don't have an instrument that can measure it. The power level will be in femtowatts unless unless you are next door to a very powerful AM broadcast station. See post #4 above which you seem to have ignored.