Need help identifying specific component

GingaDensetsuAleu

Joined Nov 27, 2018
I am working on an older piece of electronics and find myself in need of a replacement button. However, I cannot for the life of me think of the keyword to search for for this specific button. Specifically, the unique arrangement of the pins. Here is an image of the top (I forgot to remove the plastic cap-- it just has a standard square peg surface) and the bottom.
IMG_20181127_234620820.jpg IMG_20181127_234725698.jpg
As you can see, all six pins are in a straight line. I can't seem to think of what to search for to find a similar item.
Does anybody know the keyword I need for my search?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It looks like a Hall Effect push button. However, usually HE switches have three connections and sometimes four, not six.

What is the function of the gadget and its push button?

GingaDensetsuAleu

Joined Nov 27, 2018
It looks like a Hall Effect push button. However, usually HE switches have three connections and sometimes four, not six.

What is the function of the gadget and its push button?
In this case, it is an omnichord, which is an electronic instrument that generates a beat and a chord based on user input.
The particular button I need to replace toggles the beat generator on and off.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It makes sense to use a Hall Effect switch for an application like the Omnichord since there are no mechanical contacts in the HE switch.

Are you certain that all six solder points are part of the switch?
There should be three solder connections to the switch.

Examine carefully the vertical alignment of the switch over the solder connections.

GingaDensetsuAleu

Joined Nov 27, 2018
It makes sense to use a Hall Effect switch for an application like the Omnichord since there are no mechanical contacts in the HE switch.

Are you certain that all six solder points are part of the switch?
There should be three solder connections to the switch.

Examine carefully the vertical alignment of the switch over the solder connections.
I did think it was odd to have six pins on a switch with only two modes, but the one I need to change out doesn't have anything soldered alongside it that the extra pins could belong to. As far as I can tell until I can get it off the board (it's taking some doing to remove enough solder to remove the actual component), all six pins are part of the switch.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I can see from the bottom view of the PCB that the contacts are wired together in pairs.
It would appear that the button has two HE sensors wired in parallel, perhaps for reliable operation.

How do you know that the HE switch is faulty?

GingaDensetsuAleu

Joined Nov 27, 2018
I can see from the bottom view of the PCB that the contacts are wired together in pairs.
It would appear that the button has two HE sensors wired in parallel, perhaps for reliable operation.

How do you know that the HE switch is faulty?
The switch is definitely faulty. The rhythm generator runs at all times, regardless of the state of the toggle switch. In addition, it came apart when I tried to remove it from the board and scattered lots of little pieces everywhere. The top view is actually of an identical part elsewhere on the board that is, as far as I can tell, working.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, so the photo posted is not that of the broken switch.

Can you post a photo of all the broken bits and pieces and a second photo of the circuit board with the switch was connected?

In particular, were there two separate black sensors similar to this?

GingaDensetsuAleu

Joined Nov 27, 2018
Ok, so the photo posted is not that of the broken switch.

Can you post a photo of all the broken bits and pieces and a second photo of the circuit board with the switch was connected?

In particular, were there two separate black sensors similar to this?

More photos will have to wait until after I have performed my daily employment, but no- the switch had a pair of metal contacts inside that were attached to the plastic button prop, and a spring to pop the button back up. I'll take some pictures and post them here after work.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Looks like a mechanical switch.
What is the model number of the Omnichord?
Which button is broken (i.e what is the function of the button)?

GingaDensetsuAleu

Joined Nov 27, 2018
You can contact Omnichord Heaven and ask for a replacement or a suitable part number.
State the Omnichord model number and switch function.

http://www.suzukimusic.co.uk/omnichord-heaven/contact.html

I will send you their email address via PM.
After waiting several days, I have not heard back from Omnichord Heaven.
I have, however, gone into the switch's original manufacturer's patents and found the precise part I need, buried way back in the patents from 1979. Us patent number US4249053A is the part I need. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to translate that into a serial number I can use to search for the part.