Need help getting a DC output from an active half wave rectifier

Sycko

Joined Jul 11, 2019
Hello everyone!

I've been working on a circuit that takes in a 13MHz AC signal and attempts to get a DC voltage out corresponding to it's peak. (or as close to that as possible)

The active half wave rectifier works to perfection, the filter to smooth out the output however, does not work at all.
It's supposed to be an active low pass filter, but even after messing around a bunch with resistor and capacitor values, i never get what i want out.

Here's a pic of the circuit at the moment.
upload_2019-8-9_9-45-7.png

I've also attached the simulation file in case anyone want's to play around with it a bit.

Does anyone spot what I've done wrong here? Am I even in the right path?
Any help is much appreciated :)

Attachments

Sycko

Joined Jul 11, 2019
Hi eric, thanks for taking the time to reply!

I wand DC out yeah! But there's an issue, what is happening there is the voltage is just going to the 2.5V rail of the op amp, so if i change the input voltage, the result will be the same.

What I want to see is the output voltage accompanying the peak of the output of Amp_Vout2 ideally. But I can't seem to find a resistor capacitor combination to make that happen :(

I think there might be something fundamentally wrong with the way I implemented the filter...

Sycko

Joined Jul 11, 2019
After experimenting with c1 at 10nF it out for a bit I arrived at a reasonably good output, It's not following the peaks of the signal but I suppose it's still fine.
Thanks so much for the suggestion eric!

Sycko

Joined Jul 11, 2019
Sure thing!

So i guess I should speak about limits, the maximum input I expect is 1.5V to the first jalf wave rectifier, meaning I would want 1.5V input to produce a final DC output of 2.5V that is fine.

But for 1V input i would need something lower so I can distinguish a 1.5V input from a 1V input, the output will go into an ADC so I'll need a way of distinguishing between the two. Oh and the lowest input I'd expect is 0.1V.

Guess a simple way to correct that is changing the gain resistor R3?

I'll include the simulation with 1.5v input here.
Thanks again eric, i really appreciate the time! ;)

Attachments

Sycko

Joined Jul 11, 2019
Oh that is awesome!
I'm gonna have a play around with it and see how my circuit reacts to different inputs.
Thanks once again! I think i should be ok now :D

Sycko

Joined Jul 11, 2019
Well here it is!

upload_2019-8-9_14-13-44.png

The finished circuit.
I'll be using it to measure a voltage caused by a magnetic field.
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
Thank you so much for the help Eric!