Need help desiging a wiring diagram

glenneharding

Joined Jan 31, 2019
I am building a board similar to the attached image for my employer and I can't seem to figure out how I should wire it. The 4 toggle switches will turn on a red or green light in each of the 4 zones but I need a master switch (keyed) that will disable the toggles so that the lights can not be changed by just anyone unless they have the key.
Board Diagram 001 JPG.jpg
Thank you for any advice on this project.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Most P.B. manufacturers offer a key switch in some form or another such as Digikey stock
CKL13EFW01-002
Place in line with the feed for the other switches.
Similar to this

Max.

glenneharding

Joined Jan 31, 2019
Yes....I do want the lights to remain on when master switch is off. The master switch is for disabling the toggles but the lights should remain on. No...I am a CNC machine operator and carpenter so I have no experience with micros. So my question really is.....can you have a switch that disables another switch and the thing that is turned on stays on?
Thank you everyone for your input.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't see it being done with a simple switch that will retain all the present states without some logic, and a hard wired version may get Very messy!
Max.

glenneharding

Joined Jan 31, 2019
That's what I was afraid of.... So how could someone do it with logic? I'm a pretty sharp guy if I could get a diagram I could build it. Thanks again for your help.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Indus
That's what I was afraid of.... So how could someone do it with logic? I'm a pretty sharp guy if I could get a diagram I could build it. Thanks again for your help.
Industrial relays are not cheap, and this might be doable with ladder logic. How much can you spend? Hundreds? Thousands?

glenneharding

Joined Jan 31, 2019
I have to build about 10 of these for a production line. they don't want anybody change in the red lights to green without the proper authority. I guess I will just go to my fall-back position which is to make each one of the toggles a keyed toggle.
Thank you ever so much for your help you guys are awesome.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
How about 4 SR flipflops using for example 2 CD4011 (Quad NAND gates). This is a very rough sketch of the idea showing just 2 of the 4 flipflops.
030319.jpg

The master switch would disconnect the ground from commons of the 4 switches so that the toggle switches could not change the state of the flipflops. The LEDs could be driven using CD4049 or DC4050 buffers or small mosfets.

Les.

glenneharding

Joined Jan 31, 2019
How about 4 SR flipflops using for example 2 CD4011 (Quad NAND gates). This is a very rough sketch of the idea showing just 2 of the 4 flipflops.
View attachment 169346

The master switch would disconnect the ground from commons of the 4 switches so that the toggle switches could not change the state of the flipflops. The LEDs could be driven using CD4049 or DC4050 buffers or small mosfets.

Les.
I like this idea....I will look into it. Thank you

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Here's another option for the logic :-
SwitchDisabler.PNG
U1a is a clock oscillator which is enabled/disabled by the master switch. When enabled, outputs 1-4 take up the states of the other switches. U2 is an octal latch circuit to hold those states when the oscillator is disabled.