Need help controlling motors

rudeboymcc

Joined Apr 9, 2006
Hi. I'm trying to make a circuit to power a motorised screen for the car. the screen first comes out the dash horizontally and then flips up. Al teh mechanism (gears + motors) are already there, I just need a circuit to power them. I've been told I can do it with relays (no PIC required).

I really don't know hwere to start though. I need the horizontal motor to move the screen out until a switch is pressed (screen is fully extended), and hten i want the flip motor to turn on for a certain number of seconds (this doesn't have to be too accurate becuase I'm gonna have buttons to move the angle as welll for sunlight).

Then when i press another button the flip motor folds the screen down (i.e. rotates the opposite way) until a switch is press, and then the horizontal motor starts (the opposite direction) and moves the screen back in until another switch is press.

Any help is appreciated.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by rudeboymcc@Apr 9 2006, 09:42 AM
Hi. I'm trying to make a circuit to power a motorised screen for the car. the screen first comes out the dash horizontally and then flips up. Al teh mechanism (gears + motors) are already there, I just need a circuit to power them. I've been told I can do it with relays (no PIC required).

I really don't know hwere to start though. I need the horizontal motor to move the screen out until a switch is pressed (screen is fully extended), and hten i want the flip motor to turn on for a certain number of seconds (this doesn't have to be too accurate becuase I'm gonna have buttons to move the angle as welll for sunlight).

Then when i press another button the flip motor folds the screen down (i.e. rotates the opposite way) until a switch is press, and then the horizontal motor starts (the opposite direction) and moves the screen back in until another switch is press.
Any help is appreciated.
[post=16001]Quoted post[/post]​
What is your ballpark budget for the parts to implement a solution?

hgmjr

paultwang

Joined Mar 8, 2006
Originally posted by rudeboymcc@Apr 9 2006, 08:42 AM
Then when i press another button ...
[post=16001]Quoted post[/post]​

Press and hold, or just press once?

If pressing once, need a contact-once-remains-on (CORO) circuit (kind of like an alarm circuit).

Once the stopper button is pressed, need to disconnect main power so the CORO circuit is broken.

rudeboymcc

Joined Apr 9, 2006
Budget is no more than £30.

I am thinking of a press just once solution. I don't want to have to hold it down until it folds out. There are three switches though which can be used for this. One switch is open when the screen is fully folded in the dash (closed). Say if i press the button for a second, and this activates a relay and starts moving the screen out, then this switch will now be closed. I'm thinking this could keep the relay which the button conrols in the active position until it hits a second switch when the screen is fully out.

btw fast replies! I'm impressed.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
[attachmentid=1370]
This schematic is only a starting place.

It does not adress positioning of the screen once extended. A second set of contacts on the extension limit switch would kick off that sequence. Retraction also needs work.

Also - the as-drawn circuit won't recover from power loss during extension or retraction.

This reminds me of a cup-holder on one of the Audi models. It performed similarly - but was completely mechanical.