Need Help: Controlling a Fan with a Time Delay Relay

Nicholas Shake

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Here is a 555 based solution. The 4017 counter creates a 20% duty cycle, reducing the size of C1 by 80% (very large caps do not work well in timers). An alternate configuration replaces Q1 with Q2 and Q3, eliminates D1, and reduces C1 to 47 uF. Power can be any 5 V or 12 V wall wart or USB charger.

Even at "only" 30 seconds I'm not wild about the long timer period. Last September I did a similar fan timer on another forum, based on the CD4060. I can modify and post it if interested.

ak
View attachment 93383

First, I'd like to say thank you for all the time you put into this. It really means A LOT.

I have a Big Favor to ask of you. But I completely understand if don't have the time to elaborate any further.

Is there any way of making the diagram a little more User-Friendly for people who don't understand all of the symbols and layout?

I'd be interested in any other ways of making this work. The problem is that I am not very savvy in this field and I need help understanding it like I am in a 1st-Year High School Intro Course (which equals a lot more time explaining, and I understand everyone doesn't have the time to spell things out for people like me).

Thank you again.

Regards

Nicholas Shake

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Binary counters count in - binary. That doesn't mean that they have to count in exact seconds, but it makes the math easier when they do. For example, 256 seconds for the off time is a nice round binary number, as is 64 seconds for the on time. Both of these can be decoded very simply from a watch crystal (32.768 kHz) and a 24-bit counter. Look into a CD4521 ic.

ak