Need help connect pa siren to phone speaker

Ntmike

Joined Apr 3, 2020
Hello all, i am trying to connect a pa speaker siren to a landline phone handset speaker to make announcement for outside building Please help with procedure how to make it work . My plan is to use a amplifier and pa siren purchased to do it. I also have a speaker to line converter . B0BF7FF0-FD32-4C92-ACAB-ACFF0CD419AA.jpeg356F99F2-F329-40CE-B5E9-3E1B5BDC3056.jpeg5972E96E-0D7C-42E5-ACAB-B5497E7DF899.jpeg

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
It looks lIke the telephone speaker is in a telephone handset so it will have a signal level low enough to connect directly to both inputs of the stereo amplifier.
But where will you connect the siren? With a switch to select siren or telephone?
Does the siren have a line -level output?

Ntmike

Joined Apr 3, 2020
It looks lIke the telephone speaker is in a telephone handset so it will have a signal level low enough to connect directly to both inputs of the stereo amplifier.
But where will you connect the siren? With a switch to select siren or telephone?
The phone is only use for announcement I will remove the speaker connect amplifier and siren connect to amplifier outputs. But i am afraid that the phone speaker to amplifier may not work because that is speaker signals not line signal for amplifier input. I’m worry that it damage the amplifier I need some guidance on how to about hook it up

Ntmike

Joined Apr 3, 2020
The phone is only use for announcement I will remove the speaker connect amplifier and siren connect to amplifier outputs. But i am afraid that the phone speaker to amplifier may not work because that is speaker signals not line signal for amplifier input. I’m worry that it damage the amplifier I need some guidance on how to about hook it up

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Is the speaker in the telephone actually the earphone in the handset? If it is then its level is almost line level and will not cause damage.

"I will remove the speaker connect amplifier and siren connect to amplifier outputs." This makes no sense.
You do not connect a siren to the amplifier outputs. Instead the siren connects to the amplifier inputs. But you need to switch between the siren and the phone announcement.

Ntmike

Joined Apr 3, 2020
You think Is ok to connect amplifier input directly to phone speaker wire?

Ntmike

Joined Apr 3, 2020
Is the speaker in the telephone actually the earphone in the handset? If it is then its level is almost line level and will not cause damage.

"I will remove the speaker connect amplifier and siren connect to amplifier outputs." This makes no sense.
You do not connect a siren to the amplifier outputs. Instead the siren connects to the amplifier inputs. But you need to switch between the siren and the phone announcement.
I thought this siren is a pa speaker siren so it works like a speaker for voice so I connect in place of a the speaker. The way it work is that i can call the phone from anywhere the phone pick up that when i make the announcement through that phone. So no switch needed. I have test with connect from phone to line level converter then connect to 1 channel of 10w amplifier then to a computer speaker. It works, but It just loud enough to wake wife from sleeping to do cooking before you come home. For a commercial building I need it louder. I not sure of I plan to use siren and more power amp. I not familiar how siren work also I would like it as loud as i can get. What you think?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
You did not post links to details for the siren and for the amplifier. Please post them.
You showed a photo of PA speakers that are MUCH louder than an ordinary speaker, please post a link showing its details.

Ntmike

Joined Apr 3, 2020

I thought this siren is a pa speaker siren so it works like a speaker for voice so I connect in place of a the speaker. The way it work is that i can call the phone from anywhere the phone pick up that when i make the announcement through that phone. So no switch needed. I have test with connect from phone to line level converter then connect to 1 channel of 10w amplifier then to a computer speaker. It works, but It just loud enough to wake wife from sleeping to do cooking before you come home. For a commercial building I need it louder. I not sure of I plan to use siren and more power amp. I not familiar how siren work also I would like it as loud as i can get. What you think
You did not post links to details for the siren and for the amplifier. Please post them.
You showed a photo of PA speakers that are MUCH louder than an ordinary speaker, please post a link
https://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PHSP4
Is for the siren.

https://www.ezvapore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=349448
Is the amplifier

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The PA speaker produces 100dB with an input of 1W. An ordinary speaker produces about 87dB with an input of 1W so the PA speaker is MUCH louder. It will be 110dB with 10W and will be 117dB with 50W at a distance of 1 meter. The dB loudness drops -6dB for each doubling of distance.

You did not post links to the siren and amplifier so I know nothing about them.
Maybe the amplifier is stereo with two channels then one channel can feed one PA speaker for the siren and the second channel can feed the second PA speaker for the announcement.

Ntmike

Joined Apr 3, 2020
The PA speaker produces 100dB with an input of 1W. An ordinary speaker produces about 87dB with an input of 1W so the PA speaker is MUCH louder. It will be 110dB with 10W and will be 117dB with 50W at a distance of 1 meter. The dB loudness drops -6dB for each doubling of distance.

You did not post links to the siren and amplifier so I know nothing about them.
Maybe the amplifier is stereo with two channels then one channel can feed one PA speaker for the siren and the second channel can feed the second PA speaker for the announcement.
The phone only got wire for one speaker. Do I connect both line input channels amplifier to that one speaker wire on the phone or do I need any adapter to connect

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
UNless a siren function is required there is no reason in the world to consider using a siren speaker for a PA system. For PA use where speech must be understood us a PA horn speaker. It is not likely that the TS will be able to access the speaker connections in a siren speaker assembly, and of course that MUST happen to connect to the speaker for PA voice use. AND the speaker in the photo has no mention of siren in the description. So is that the device under consideration? Or just a convenient picture with no relation to whatever is intended to be used? And why consider hacking into a landline phone just to utilize the cheap microphone? The microphone shown in the picture is an electret type that must have external power to function and the TS will not be able to make it work. So get a separate microphone and avoid many problems.

Last edited:

Ntmike

Joined Apr 3, 2020
UNless a siren function is required there is no reason in the world to consider using a siren speaker for a PA system. For PA use where speech must be understood us a PA horn speaker. It is not likely that the TS will be able to access the speaker connections in a siren speaker assembly, and of course that MUST happen to connect to the speaker for PA voice use.
My mistake. It is a horn speaker actually that just looks like a siren. Not a siren. It is a speaker

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I think the telephone earphone (he calls it a speaker) feeds both stereo amplifier inputs and is used for making the announcement.
Maybe he planned to replace the stereo amplifier he showed with an expensive siren with horn speaker and 2 channels amplifier.

Here is a cheap little siren module sold on all Chinese online sites. Another circuit must be designed to activate the siren for a couple of seconds when the phone rings. Then the phone calls about Duct Cleaning and Windows And Doors can wake his wife and his entire neighbourhood.
Will his wife hang up the phone?

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think the telephone earphone (he calls it a speaker) feeds both stereo amplifier inputs and is used for making the announcement.
Maybe he planned to replace the stereo amplifier he showed with an expensive siren with horn speaker and 2 channels amplifier.

Here is a cheap little siren module sold on all Chinese online sites. Another circuit must be designed to activate the siren for a couple of seconds when the phone rings. Then the phone calls about Duct Cleaning and Windows And Doors can wake his wife and his entire neighbourhood.
Do you have a link to that module?

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
In Google, ask for "Siren module" then look at Images. It is Chinese so the only details are its weight and 3V to 4.5V.
It does not say if the siren sounds like the boo, bee, boo, bee in Europe of the eeuurroorruuee, uurroorruuee in North America.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

See the response in post #15. It is actually a horn speaker, not a siren device. The big problem with siren speakers is that the actual impedance is unknown, and the distortion may be very high.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The amplifier shown in post #1 is a stereo amplifier with what appears to be bridging type outputs. So either channel can drive the speaker, but not both. To use the phone it will probably be most effective to connect a small audio transformer across the earphone (speaker) in the handset and then use the other winding of the transformer to feed the amplifier input. Since the microphone is an electret it will have a DC bias and a much lower signal amplitude. That is why the speaker connection is a better choice.