Need help an old JVC Camera without the battery

jvceverioguy

Joined Jul 22, 2022
Hi,

I have an old JVC Everio GZ-MS120RU camera that my parents bought me when I was younger. I've been trying to get it to work but I can't get the battery to charge. I looked online for replacements and they're like 20 bucks which I'd prefer not to spend if there's an alternative.

This is the battery. and This is the camera.

I have extra cables and a soldering iron at home but I have no clue how I would wire it up. There's 4 little metal prongs, labled (+) T C (-). I'm not sure what the T and C are supposed to be.

I was able to get the camera powered on by just wiring the positive and negative to a usb, but the camera turns off after a few seconds. I'm assuming bc it's missing the T and C.

Is there anyway to bypass this and not use a battery?

jvceverioguy

Joined Jul 22, 2022
I have one, spend the money for a battery if you want it to work correctly.
This is slightly unrelated, but do you know if there's some sort of cmos battery in the camcorder? When I turned it on it had the current time and date set despite not being turned on for years.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I would be tempted to carefully disassemble the bad battery, remove the dead cells (leave the protection board intact), and run wires to an 18650 battery holder.
That's a 7.4V nominal battery (according to Amazon), so USB wouldn't be enough voltage. Try more volts and it may work (never mind, you got it working from 9V).
T is probably a temperature sensor (thermistor); C could be communications with the brain in the battery protection board.

Last edited: