need good compiler .C to .HEX

YZF600R

Joined Aug 4, 2006
Hi, I don't know if someone could refer me to a good (free or low cost)
C compiler and linker to create .HEX to be able to progam PIC cpu from Microchip.

Thank you

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There probably are no free C compilers. You might find a low cost demo version that is limited in some way. It may be fine for your purposes. You did not specify which PIC you are interested in.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just like systems, there is something about every GNU tool that sucks, except the price. I never have found one that I liked.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
YZF600R,

You may want to post your question in the microchip forum. You can find it be going to www.microchip.com and click on the link to "online discussion groups" in the SUPPORT listing.

hgmjr(800)

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Which PIC series are you working on? For 18F the Microchip C compiler is not bad. The student version is free and the only limitation is that one of the optimisation (procedural abstraction) is disabled.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
n9352527 said:
Which PIC series are you working on? For 18F the Microchip C compiler is not bad. The student version is free and the only limitation is that one of the optimisation (procedural abstraction) is disabled.
I'll second the C18 complier for the PIC18xxx series of microcontrollers. If you are enrolled at a university on an accredited course of further education, you could approach your IT-services manager about obtaining a copy of the compiler software under the University license - this is usually distributed over the net via something like VPN. Many universities offer this capability as long as the software is used purely for educational purposes under the structure of the course you are taking.

Dave

sci-3d

Joined Aug 22, 2006
Please try SDCC - Gnu GPL (opensource) C Compiler (homepage).

I also use it to compiler my 8051, it also supports PIC. It have an IDE called MIDE.
If you are interested, please visit my homepage. I have an installation guide.