Need function generator recommendation please

RastusMcbride

Joined Apr 6, 2021
Hi, I have a very simple question I really didn't know where else to ask. I need a frequency/function generator under 1000$ if possible, than I can program (USB/PC or otherwise) to run a series of AM modulated frequencies sine mainly, square maybe but nothing out of the ordinary. HF is 6.03Mhz, and low end modulating frequencies are not so important down to 50khz would be fine. Sincere thanks for any input here.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
An Arbitrary waveform generator (AWG) is the tool for this.
Have a look at the 14 bit SDG1032X and it's programming guide as well as its free SW utility EasyWaveX.
All the info you need can be found here:
https://int.siglent.com/products-overview/sdg1000x/

If after some research you feel a 16 bit model will better fit your needs then at the same website you can find all the info for SDG2042X.
Happy hunting.

RastusMcbride

Joined Apr 6, 2021
Another question, if I may. Another possibility is to generate the required 6.03 mhz and also, a series of pre-programed hz-khz frequencies employed (somehow) to pulse on/off the primary mhz frequency. So to be clear, is it possible, using one or two FG's to send a pre-programed series of hz-khz frequencies and use them to pulse on/off, a single, constant 6 mhz? Reason being, the coils/antenna I'm inputing to are sensitive to change in frequency and if it's altered much they won't go into resonance. I have an inexpensive FG that claims to be able to "modulate" but the result, is interpreted as a completely different frequency and is not sufficient to send the system into resonance. The 6.03mhz might still technically be present, but it's not sufficient. Sooo, I'm not sure this whole modulation idea will work, even with better function generators. Btw, I'm obviously not "advanced", electronically speaking and do not pretend to be, I'm just trying to "do" something, not be a designer or engineer. But for anyone who might be curious, I'm experimenting with some "scalar" coils made by a guy named Konstantine Meyl who may be brilliant but customer service is not his forte. He does it somehow, using a "demodulator" (?) but that's all the info I can get from them. So... the pulsing is just another idea, a simpler idea and probably more likely to work. Thanks for any ideas.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I have a Rigol DG1062.

It's great value for the money, but as with many Chinese products, the user interface design is a cringe-fest.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
$100 will get you a FY6800 or FY6900. Bit cheaply made but its good enough for most basic stuff.

here's a random video reviewing it.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
I'vge just taken delivery of a Siglent SDG1032X. I have to say, after messing around with various Arduino-based solutions and 'single-chip' solutions (which never are) I wish I'd done it sooner. So simple to use, yet so flexible.

RastusMcbride

Joined Apr 6, 2021
Thanks all for the recommendations. I think tho that there's probably no easy way to do what I need to do. Also, the pulsing idea is probably bunk... won't serve the function properly. I've managed to figure out that simple modulate function will work, but I have to start with my "frequency of interest" and then experiment by measuring different Mhz frequencies (carrier) that gets me a measured 6.03 Mhz. Very cumbersome but at least it works. Kinda cool, I get say 8V dc at the sending coil and maybe 14V on the receiving coil, transmitted via antenna. Over unity? Probably not eh, but I'm transmitting via air gap maybe "scalar" (?) that's the idea anyway. Need to set up a little faraday cage experiment Off topic alarms just went off so I'll quit with the alt-sci talk ;)