Need DPDT (ON)-OFF-(MOM) toggle switch and hard to find

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
I did find this after an hour of searching. I need to switch on a DC powered engine fuel pump, so I assume this switch can handle a few amps DC?

Three goals in mind.
I want to momentarily prime with engine off the fuel pump.
I want to be able to turn off the pump so the engine can run the fuel dry out of the carb so fuel won't sit in it.
I want to be able to turn on the pump so the engine oil pressure circuit can control the pump.
I want to just use a single switch so I think a DPDT momentary switch is best.

Does anyone know of a switch having a better price?
Does anyone have a link to something that they don't charge as much to ship as it is worth, they want over $9 to ship this. I tried allied express and only could find a SPDT in this configuration.

https://www.newark.com/multicomp/sp...2.1405197713.1538567566-1443809463.1538567566

alliedexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pc...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.259.36003c00xIVF5p

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Thanks, but again not what I want.

It is 3 position switch.

So we have one side is ON (all the time, handle stays there), center is OFF (all the time. handle stays there) , other side is MOMENTARY (only when you push it is it on, let go it goes back to off by itself and stays there).
And in a DPDT configuration.
Typically described as ON-OFF-MON switch

And so far it is not an easy switch to find or apparently explain.

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Here is the schematic for adding the manual control helm switch for the electric pump. It can uses a standard 3 wire cable.
Pump will use maybe 2 amps 12v dc, going to be a Facet cube style pulsator pump. Gen came with option for either mechanical or electric fuel pump to be used. Bad thing about a mechanical fuel pump, if gen sits a long time, a long cranking to start and cant easily shut off the gas to run it dry. Gas will sit in the carb, goes bad and it clogs the carb then gen wont start.
Why do all these toggle switches not list a DC amperage? I figure will be ok, I use a few toggles to switch DC and they have been fine.
20181004_060602.jpg

Last edited:

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
I picked up the switches.
I want to turn on a 12v dc pilot light when the switch is on that indicates the fuel pump has power.
I can easily do it by connecting the light to the 12v dc positive wire that runs to the pump right at the switch.
The lamp's ground I can tie into the entire electrical safety ground which actually grounds both AC and DC power all over the boat, versus running a separate dedicated wire back to the generator negative on the battery. Would running a tiny LED or Neon bulb through that safety ground be an issue? I don't think so, All 4 boat batteries share the same ground plane along with the 120 vac which normally has no ac power flowing onto the ground unless there exists a ground fault.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

On order you must select wich version you want:

Panel Mounting Neon Indicator Red Green Yellow Lights 220V 110V 12V 24VDC 10mm MDX 11A.png

I do think that the 12 and 24 volts versions are leds.

Bertus

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Interesting, not really neons, I did order A5, which are the green 12v dc versions.
I have ordered about 10 various items-lots of different things using allied express, and so far been a good experience.

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Just got them today. They are miniature incandescent bulbs. They measure about 35 to 40 ohms, nothing like I was thinking.