Need direction to control small 12v motor run time while using momentary toggle switch to activate

mmorgan

Joined Apr 12, 2016
I am controlling a 12v system that drives a cam which rotates under a hopper to deliver a "dose" of product. This project is to deliver a product for biological control of mosquitoes in catch basins in mostly urban areas.
As it is set up now, I hold the momentary toggle switch to activate the cam and release it after a single revolution. Ideally, I would like to merely activate the switch and have the cam turn a single revolution and stop on it's own, awaiting the next activation.
Any guidance would be much appreciated. The photo is of the cam at the bottom of the hopper to give you an idea of the space I have to work with.
Thanks.

Attachments

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
You just need a latching relay circuit. "Start" would be your pushbutton and "stop" is a limit switch positioned to operate when the cam is at its home position.

Last edited:

mmorgan

Joined Apr 12, 2016
blocco a spirale, thank you for the fast reply to my thread. I also appreciate the diagram very much, it helps out a lot! Being a novice (which is probably giving myself more credit than is due), can you advise on the best avenue available for an appropriate limit switch? Would online be the best bet or maybe Radio Shack? Thanks.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Look out for a microswitch with a long lever and maybe a roller (it depends on how you intend to install it), something like this:

I'd first check ebay for this kind of thing but any of the online component suppliers will have something suitable.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It might be wise to keep the stop switch and wire the micro-sw in series with it, this will then give you both manual and auto stop if you needed it.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also depending on fast the hopper starts, you will need to hold the start in for enough time for the hopper to rotate off the limit, otherwise it will give a momentary pulse.
Max.