Need details:-Daisy chain of Ethernet on each device

Kamal_S

Joined Mar 31, 2020
I'm trying some modules with Ethernet port
But on every port i need cable for some distance & instead of using long wires for each modules, how can i chain it called through out port

1st device's Ethernet port in from router or direct from system & that's ip address will be x.x.x.1
Port out from 1st device goes into 2nd device (x.x.x.2) & so on

Like ip address (x.x.x.x)
Data in>> In _x.x.x.1_out >>>>> In_x.x.x.2_out >>>>In_x.x.x.3 _out

data rate is under 10kbps per node

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It’s not that simple. Ethernet is designed to operate in a star network, with each device having its own cable back to a switch and/or router (older technology could use a hub)

So to do what you want, each device would have to implement one of these technologies in each and every device.

Complicated and expensive. Rethink your problem and see if you can come up with something better.

UPDATE: What protocol are you using?

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
You cannot just "chain" Ethernet together. You could install a simple Ethernet hub at your location and run one long cable back to where the Ethernet is supposed to connect to. A small network switch will do as well, depending on what your software is designed to do.
A "hub" repeats all Ethernet signals to all ports on the device, basically a repeater to all ports for all traffic. A "switch" is a store and forward device (semi-intelligent), which only forwards Ethernet traffic to a specific destination port. Other ports do NOT see that traffic (in general).

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I'm trying some modules with Ethernet port
But on every port i need cable for some distance & instead of using long wires for each modules, how can i chain it called through out port

1st device's Ethernet port in from router or direct from system & that's ip address will be x.x.x.1
Port out from 1st device goes into 2nd device (x.x.x.2) & so on

Like ip address (x.x.x.x)
Data in>> In _x.x.x.1_out >>>>> In_x.x.x.2_out >>>>In_x.x.x.3 _out

data rate is under 10kbps per node
hello,

Used to be able to do that in the old days with 10base2/10base5 networks. But they used coax cable and “T” type connectors at each computer. I don’t think anyone makes stuff anymore.

eT

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
Industrial devices that have ethernet ports actually contain a small ethernet switch circuit in each device.
So although they appear to be daisy-chained actually they are not.
Each device has a unique IP address on the network.

Kamal_S

Joined Mar 31, 2020
Check this diagram
where NET-in & NET-out have separate port & no need to put extra switcher
Speed not matter in this case, but as of calculation

EX:- if i've 4 controller in series and each need data @ 20kbps >
scenario is
1st controller(80kbps) <<60kbps for other 3 controller
2nd (60kbps) <<40kbps for other 2 controller
3rd(40kbps) <<20kbps for other 1 controller
4th (20kbps) << 20 kbps OWN

which hardware should i use to make it possiable?
1586178964158.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
How do you know that the two Ethernet jacks are not switched?

I suspect strongly, that while you don’t need an extra or external switch, the circuit includes the hardware for an internal switch. Which is what I said you would have to include on your device.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
yes but i don't have any reference for that.
port switcher ic and other basics.
So, I think you mean that you don’t know how to add dual switch hardware to your device. You don’t understand the hardware or firmware needed. As I said in my original post (paraphrasing), that is a difficult task.

So why not investigate if there is a module to do what you want? Like this one. That is a reference to a complete module with two Ethernet ports that can be used as a switch. I didn’t check to see if it will work for you, but it’s a start.

The point is that if you don’t have the skill for a component of your system, depending on the overall requirements, you can hire someone with the skills or investigate commercial modules.

Kamal_S

Joined Mar 31, 2020
8118a realtek this ic is also in list to do that work ,

from beginning of this post,i just want to confirm that if anyone have proper documentation or not ,otherwise as you say
djsfantasi
you can hire someone with the skills or investigate commercial modules.

Thanks for detail and source link.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It looks like that chip might be useful. But as it also seems to be used in a commercial product, I was unable to find out much about DIY use.

What is your level of expertise? In addition to electronics (are you comfortable with SMD use?), do you have software experience, in order to configure the chip or chips? Specifically, networking software?

Kamal_S

Joined Mar 31, 2020
are you comfortable with SMD use
Yes we have in-house solutions for this

All kind of services listed below
• Embedded Hardware &
• Software Solution
• PCB: Design & Fabrication
• Pick & Place Solution
• Indoor Outdoor Led Screen Module,
• Control Cards,Smps, Cabinet
• Mechatronics Works
• Electronics Components
• Laser & Plasma:Cutting & Engraving
• Customized Enclosures
• Modules & Sensors
• Arduino Boards
• Integrated Circuits
• Micro-controllers
• Scrolling Led Display
• Led Pixels, SMPS, Controller & Designing
• Dance Floor (Rented)
• 3D Printer Job Works
• Industrial Automation
• Embedded R&D
• Customized Projects
• Technical Support Consultancy

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes we have in-house solutions for this

All kind of services listed below
• Embedded Hardware &
• Software Solution
• PCB: Design & Fabrication
• Pick & Place Solution
• Indoor Outdoor Led Screen Module,
• Control Cards,Smps, Cabinet
• Mechatronics Works
• Electronics Components
• Laser & Plasma:Cutting & Engraving
• Customized Enclosures
• Modules & Sensors
• Arduino Boards
• Integrated Circuits
• Micro-controllers
• Scrolling Led Display
• Led Pixels, SMPS, Controller & Designing
• Dance Floor (Rented)
• 3D Printer Job Works
• Industrial Automation
• Embedded R&D
• Customized Projects
• Technical Support Consultancy
Just curious? None of those people can answer your question about using an 8118a (which either doesn’t exist, is a typo or obsolete)?

Kamal_S

Joined Mar 31, 2020
8118a (which either doesn’t exist, is a typo or obsolete)?
as per my previous workout on finding solutions, i get this rtl8118as part number

http://en.pudn.com/
https://www.csdn.net/

this site's results will never display on your screen if you're using google as search engine.

check this link once , this type of details you'll never get on google's page for rtl8118as on google's page.
well right now i'm using google's for basic search, but if you need accurate and technical friendly results (i mean by reference design of any part)
use baidu

i'm 26 right now & working specially in reverse engineering / mechatronics field (started @ age of 13) so all this type of other way is help full to improve productivity and speciality

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
djsfantasi >> alone with that here is sample of source which i found easily
Ok, so you shared your searches. But you did not answer my question. One that is very important.

With all of the in-house resources which you’ve listed, why can none of them answer your base question?

I also checked your profile. If you are a professional Engineering Manager, why are you posting your question on a public hobbyist site? Someone here would expect that you either know the answer or that you know how to get the answer.

Plus, as a minor point, as an engineer, you should know how to read data sheets, how to document your required functions and know or have learned the field in which your problem resides.

Can you respond to satisfy my doubts?

Kamal_S

Joined Mar 31, 2020
We're in lock down periode (COVID19) (next more 15 days officially and may be more as per now's situation) so , i don't have any proper resources to describe here that's it.

I post this question because i dont have my regular working system at home. All other database , documentation , technical notes are enough for me.

As of condition 24x7x30 days is only routine like eat ,sleep repeat. vegetables delivered by govt at home.

And you talk for professional work, I'm searching this kind of solution just for hobby now days.

All of my client work are confidential as per brand terms.

We can do more Q&A in some other way if you're interested.

Last edited: