Need advice on power to an electronic door lock

Unionjack

Joined May 11, 2022
Hi all,
Can someone give me a Dummies guide to wiring these please.
I have managed to get the Door entry monitor and doorbell camera to work ( Doorknox wireless Video Doorbell Unit (Part code: VDP301) and VDP404 Wirefree External Door Entry Monitor) but I am confused how to wire the Electronic door lock, mainly the power supply because it just has 2 white wires. Do I need a Access Control Power Supply Controller Switch or can I wire it up without?
I know its a noob question, sorry!
Any help would be great.

vdp301-5.jpglock.jpg

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
One word of caution: I had a friend who did this to a bedroom in his house - his own design. When batteries died he had a difficult time getting into the bedroom to replace the worn out batteries. Something like a non-annoying lower battery indicated would have saved him a bundle of trouble.

Or, maybe you want to hang the door the way the dummies who built my house hung the front door- with the hinges on the on the outside so they can be easily disassembled. (We have a steel security door over it.)

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Pins 4, 5, 6, are the Contacts of an internal-Relay.

Pin-6 is common, and must always be used.

For a "normally-ON" Load, like a Magnetic-Lock, You would use Pins 5 and 6,
as they are the "normally-closed", (NC), Contacts.

For a "normally-OFF" Load, like an Electric-Lock-Mechanism, You would use Pins 4 and 6,
as they are the "normally-open", (NO), Contacts.

The Relay-Contacts swap positions when the "Unlock-Switch",
( usually a momentary contact "Push-Button" ),
is actuated.

The item that You have drawn an arrow to is a "Switch-Loop",
which can have one, or multiple Switches, wired in series.
If more than one Switch is used, they will all have to be "On" to un-lock the Door.

Don't use Batteries,
unless the Batteries are located OUTSIDE of the space that is locked,
and are kept on a continuous Trickle-Charge.

Unionjack

Joined May 11, 2022
One word of caution: I had a friend who did this to a bedroom in his house - his own design. When batteries died he had a difficult time getting into the bedroom to replace the worn out batteries. Something like a non-annoying lower battery indicated would have saved him a bundle of trouble.

Or, maybe you want to hang the door the way the dummies who built my house hung the front door- with the hinges on the on the outside so they can be easily disassembled. (We have a steel security door over it.)
Ok Thank you. I was planning on having a continuous power supply to the lock but thats the part I am confused about. The camera door bell unit has little buttons beside the 1 to 6 inputs that you press down and poke bare wire into then release button and the wire is connected (Hope that makes sense). How do I wire a PSU like in photo below into what I just stated?PSU.jpg

Unionjack

Joined May 11, 2022
Pins 4, 5, 6, are the Contacts of an internal-Relay.

Pin-6 is common, and must always be used.

For a "normally-ON" Load, like a Magnetic-Lock, You would use Pins 5 and 6,
as they are the "normally-closed", (NC), Contacts.

For a "normally-OFF" Load, like an Electric-Lock-Mechanism, You would use Pins 4 and 6,
as they are the "normally-open", (NO), Contacts.

The Relay-Contacts swap positions when the "Unlock-Switch",
( usually a momentary contact "Push-Button" ),
is actuated.

The item that You have drawn an arrow to is a "Switch-Loop",
which can have one, or multiple Switches, wired in series.
If more than one Switch is used, they will all have to be "On" to un-lock the Door.

Don't use Batteries,
unless the Batteries are located OUTSIDE of the space that is locked,
and are kept on a continuous Trickle-Charge.
Ok Thank you. I was planning on having a continuous power supply to the lock but thats the part I am confused about. The camera door bell unit has little buttons beside the 1 to 6 inputs that you press down and poke bare wire into then release button and the wire is connected (Hope that makes sense). How do I wire a PSU like in photo below into what I just stated?PSU.jpg

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
1652295253469.png
That means that the person who drew the diagram wanted to draw the unlock switch horizontally.

Which lock do you have, the "Electric Lock" or the "Magnetic Lock"? There are diagrams showing how to wire both in your first post in this thread.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
As I re-re-reread your first post, it appears your question revolves around two white wires. Are they connected to the terminal strip shown in the diagram? Or is that the problem?

You may have to resort of @crutschow 's suggestion in post 8 since "electric" may not hint at components that could be easily damaged by having the wires backwards.

Unionjack

Joined May 11, 2022
As I re-re-reread your first post, it appears your question revolves around two white wires. Are they connected to the terminal strip shown in the diagram? Or is that the problem?

You may have to resort of @crutschow 's suggestion in post 8 since "electric" may not hint at components that could be easily damaged by having the wires backwards.
The terminal strip is on the back of the camera doorbell which has a battery and a PSU connected to 1 & 2.
I thought all I had to do was wire the 2 white wires into 4 & 6 and it would be powered but looking at the diagram it states that another power supply needs to be wired to the door lock and no. 6 so how do I wire that when the 2nd PSU has just one connector? Hope that makes sense

Unionjack

Joined May 11, 2022
Thank you everyone. Problem solved, I chopped the connector off and used the 2 wires, 1 to the door lock and the other to no. 6 and the other wire coming from the door lock to no. 4 Thanks again for your time guys.