Need Advice on Building Rope Cutter using specific items

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I had some former jailbirds students a couple of years ago.Their form of electrical ignition Read cigarette lighter, is a simple gum wrapper and a AAA battery. They demonstrated this by taking a gum wrapper, tearing a piece out of the middle(causing a narrow hot spot) touching the foil side of the wrapper to the top and bottom battery terminals. Tearing the piece out causes the wrapper to get very hot very fast, igniting the white paper backing. Not tearing the wrapper will cause it to only get warm before battery death, however a D cell will do warmer/longer. We did not try to melt anything with this, but the torn wrapper will definitely light a fire..
I asked if they were the ones that came up with this idea, they said "nah, prisoners just have all the time in the world to come up with this stuff."
This has been a standard survival kit trick for decades -- at least as far back as the early 1970's because that's when I learned it in a wilderness survival class. Steel wool and a 9 V battery also starts off great, but you can't take it for granted because the total heat liberated tends to be pretty small and dispersed, so you need to take more care with getting the tender set good than you do when using a match.