Need a sound player to embed in a stuffed toy

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Any recommendation? The ideal device would be cheap and capable of playing a handful of short sound files ‘randomly’ or in sequence, one file per button press. Total time of just a few minutes would be adequate. Multiple buttons linked to multiple sounds could work but I think one button would be be best.

There are several similar items on Amazon but the ones I’ve seen so far have software limitations (32 but app for instance) or other shortcomings.

This will go inside a stuffed BB8 for my grandson.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Both the adafruit player and the sd player you linked to look good. Doesn't need an arduino. PIC would be fine too.

But, the arduino nano is a perfect choice for this because a) it's very small (1.5" x .75"), b) super cheap (I bought 5 on ebay for $15) and c) it doesn't require a special programmer (plug in usb and way you go). I use the nano for all sorts of little projects.

Any recommendation? The ideal device would be cheap and capable of playing a handful of short sound files ‘randomly’ or in sequence, one file per button press. Total time of just a few minutes would be adequate. Multiple buttons linked to multiple sounds could work but I think one button would be be best.

There are several similar items on Amazon but the ones I’ve seen so far have software limitations (32 but app for instance) or other shortcomings.

This will go inside a stuffed BB8 for my grandson.
Not sure that this one is in the thread. Stand-alone programmer and then the wt588 and a speaker is about all you need. I have one, but have never used it. Instead of doing some actual work, maybe I will play around with it. At the time, I saved this link which explains its use better than the docs.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not sure that this one is in the thread. Stand-alone programmer and then the wt588 and a speaker is about all you need. I have one, but have never used it. Instead of doing some actual work, maybe I will play around with it. At the time, I saved this link which explains its use better than the docs.
Interesting. That led me to the later one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voice-WT58...055742?hash=item5d74f33a3e:g:DVgAAOSw7htZpjOF

If I had better instructions I'd probably go for it.

Interesting. That led me to the later one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voice-WT58...055742?hash=item5d74f33a3e:g:DVgAAOSw7htZpjOF

If I had better instructions I'd probably go for it.
Yeah I saw that one also and it does look easy to use - see here. For my project, I felt like having the ability to use more than one module (i.e., different projects) was worthwhile....then again, as mentioned, I haven't done the first project...which is a gift for a relative...to celebrate something that neither of us has heard before [hint: 1948 World Series win]. Have a nice shadow box for it and an old-time mini pennant, and, the actual radio recording. The idea was, press button 1 for 1948, press button 2 for 2016 and button 3 for 2017. *sigh*

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Both the adafruit player and the sd player you linked to look good. Doesn't need an arduino. PIC would be fine too.

But, the arduino nano is a perfect choice for this because a) it's very small (1.5" x .75"), b) super cheap (I bought 5 on ebay for $15) and c) it doesn't require a special programmer (plug in usb and way you go). I use the nano for all sorts of little projects.
I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff. Is there a complete example/tutorial somewhere that could lead me through using a device like this? I have zero micro experience.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You know, this may be the easiest way to go. No programming at all. Switch(es), battery and speakers. With the built in amp you can get plenty of volume. Maybe a bit pricey.
The price is a bit high but I'll take a hard look at it. From the description, it's pretty much perfect. Overkill, but that's always nice.
Also, if you want something super easy and cheap you don't much care about the sound quality and maybe would also like some voice intro (how is your Teddy Bear voice?). There are many varieties of these.
As I understand it, that device (and the others like it) will play the entire playlist each time it's activated. A similar device that would play one file at a time, either randomly or in playlist order, would be perfect.

Oh, and I don't want to be required to use Windows 7 or XP to program it. Recording through an analog port is probably OK but I'd rather load files.

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You may want to look at chips originally developed by ISD (Information Storage Devices, now Nuvoton). ISD was started by the brother of an engineer I had the pleasure of working with for over 20 years, They developed analog storage chips using floating gate technology. I remember samples of the first corder chips which were good for about 20 seconds of audio you could record and playback. A Google of ChipCorder should get you to what is available today including ISD4000 Series as well as many others.The Novotron ISD Chipcorders come in a wide range of flavors and are distributed through Digi-Key. Anyway, they may be worth looking at. The same chips which spawned personal greeting cards. :)

Ron

FWIW: I did end up testing the WT588 programming board and managed to program a .wav file and it works standalone. These are actually more sophisticated than I thought and have a lot of options. For example, in one mode, to trigger a clip, you simply ground a pin. The tiny on-board amplifier will drive a small speaker, but it is only good for testing. You can load several .wav files and code them for different triggers and more.

The manual is something requiring a lot of time I would guess. The tutorial got me up and listening pretty quickly though. I may play with an amplifier today and see what the potential final product will sound like.