Need a circuit built

AZ_Hardwoods

Joined Mar 8, 2017
Hello all,

I am interested in commissioning a circuit to be built. I need it so that I can finish up my Raspberry Pi Carputer project. I have been waiting months for a guy that makes the circuit I want to have them available but my emails go ignored and I just want to get this thing installed into my truck. Below is a link to the circuit I want. If it is something you think you could help me with, let me know. I know a one off project would probably cost a little more than what the asking price is on the page.

http://mausberry-circuits.myshopify...supply-switches/products/3a-car-supply-switch

Thanks for any help.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Without a schematic, you also need a design and parts list, plus the build. A lot of work for a one-off.

On the upside, I think there could be a simpler solution. The voltage of the car system is higher when running than when it's not running. I think you could have the Pi watch its own supply voltage (before any regulator) and start the shutdown process whenever the supply voltage remains below, say, 13.5V for over 15 seconds.

AZ_Hardwoods

Joined Mar 8, 2017
That does sound like it would work, however that is still far beyond me. The fact I can take out of the box parts and make them into a car stereo still amazes me. That is all basically plug and play in my opinion though. Any programming or actually making something is way beyond my limits. I appreciate the insight though.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Can you wire up a simple single pole single throw relay?
The relay would be able to turn anything you want on and off with the ignition switch. You run the coil from the ignition switch, run the devices from the relay. The contacts are just a switch that switches the 12v supply from the battery to the device that has to be run.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello all,

I am interested in commissioning a circuit to be built. I need it so that I can finish up my Raspberry Pi Carputer project. I have been waiting months for a guy that makes the circuit I want to have them available but my emails go ignored and I just want to get this thing installed into my truck. Below is a link to the circuit I want. If it is something you think you could help me with, let me know. I know a one off project would probably cost a little more than what the asking price is on the page.

http://mausberry-circuits.myshopify...supply-switches/products/3a-car-supply-switch

Thanks for any help.
You are going to be looking at a LOT more than the asking price for a one off item like that. Someone has to design it. They have to come up with the API for the rPi. They have to come with the schematic dealing with everything that has to be taken into account. They have to lay it out. They have to have the board fabbed. They have to order the parts. They have to build it. They have to test it. You are looking at probably a couple thousand dollars. They can sell it for $30 because they aren't having to recoup the upfront costs one on unit. If they made a run of five hundred units, then they only need to recoup four or five dollars per unit. Plus they probably are reusing some or most of the design from other projects which might reduce their NRE (non-recurring engineering) costs to a few hundred dollars.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That does sound like it would work, however that is still far beyond me. The fact I can take out of the box parts and make them into a car stereo still amazes me. That is all basically plug and play in my opinion though. Any programming or actually making something is way beyond my limits. I appreciate the insight though.
Your car may have what you need built in. In my van for instance, the radio and windows are still powered for about a minute after the ignition is turned off. This period ends immediately once the door opens. You could trigger a shutdown process when the ignition is turned off and let it complete (how long does it take?) while powered by the car's delay circuit.