Mysterious Power outage

Jack Plonczynski

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Hi everyone.
I signed up on this forum too seek help regarding some power issue I have in my apartment.

The Issue :
This power outage occurs mostly at night, sometimes around 01:00 clock we had one last night at midnight,
the power just goes black no flickering (it use to flicker but it does not do it anymore now it just goes all black in all of the apartment general
power failure in the whole apartment, but here comes the Mysterious part, the circuit breakers does not get affected, none of the switches goes off/click down
just for the infor there was a period of time where it all worked fine around 3-4 months but now recently it started again.
the power outage happens almost every night now and it has happend everyday .
The Black out last around from 1-2 hours +/- then the power automatically comes back.
the time of the black out or mostly at night, it very rarely happens in day time that i find very odd.
the times of the black out are very random but around midnight 01, 02 03 .
none of the neighbors are affect
this has been happening on and off for about 2 years now

building rather new not old.
Apartment setup.
my room mate has his PC in the living room (its a pretty big apartment)
I had my pc in a small room and recently moved too a bigger room that used to be his.
before I moved too the new room we didn't have any blackouts,
when I moved into the new room the black out started happening, then I took a extension cord and connected it too the old room so if the issue was with the room that might be the work around but this didn't help.

What we tried / what we know
we tried many different types of solutions too see if we can prevent this from happening but nothing has helped so farr.
what we are concerned about, is if this happens from a outside source, we tried only to have our pc on power and no lights and it still the power cut out,
we bought some adapts so we could routed the internet trough the cable, and that was the first main suspect that might caused the black out, we stopped useing the wifi , and the internet with the cables and the black outs stopped. (for a while)

I hope that anyone has any idea what might be causeing this, its really back for the PC and other electornics with the random black outs please help for any ideas or solutions.

here some info from my room mate.

bought some adapts so we could routed the internet trough the cable, and that was the first main suspect that might caused the black out, we stopped useing the wifi , and the internet with the cables and the black outs stopped. (for a while) - We bought a Powerline Adapter so route the Internet through the Power cables in the apartment, it works if you don't stress the data flow. For instance using max upload and download of the device capability will initiate a flickering and Power outage in entire apartment

Last edited:

Jack Plonczynski

Joined Sep 26, 2017
extra info that my friend wrote but couldn't edit the text because it was expired.

When we stopped using the Wifi to full capacity, the blackouts were stopped, however they began again after i moved my computer and devices to this new room. My room mate told me that he had experienced power down during a time where he was the only one home occupying that Room. as such we are currently thinking a malfunctioning wall plug could cause the power outage. but we are still testing that.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have been to spain and most houses/apartments I saw had solar power backup. It is my understanding that Spain has a problem with electricity availability and electricity cost. You could be part of a planned conservation program and don't know it. The power company might be switching you off. I have no idea if this is correct but it sounds much more plausible to me than powerline ethernet is causing a blackout. That is extremely unlikely; I am tempted to say impossible.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Its a ghost... boo

You likely have a loose wire connection or faulty circuit breaker somewhere or it is planned load shedding as stated by strantor but that would effect your neighbors also.. (maybe they just don't know its happening)

If you are renting an apartment then you should contact the landlord and they should contact a qualified electrician to troubleshoot the issue with the proper tools.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
You should START by contacting your power company and see if they have any explanation for your blackouts. Since it happens only at night, I too suspect a rolling blackout by your power provider.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
it just goes all black in all of the apartment [...] general power failure in the whole apartment [...] none of the neighbors are affect [...] Power outage in entire apartment
You likely have a loose wire connection or faulty circuit breaker somewhere or it is planned load shedding as stated by strantor but that would effect your neighbors also.. (maybe they just don't know its happening)
When he said "the entire apartment" I interpreted "the entire apartment building" - including neighbors in the same building. When he said "no neighbors affected" I interpreted "no adjacent apartment buildings." Now that I re-read, I think I might have been mistaken. Please clarify

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When the lights go out, step outside and see if all the street lights and all surrounding buildings have also lost power. This will tell you that the power outage is in the whole neighbourhood.

If you still see lights, check with the apartment next door. This will tell you if the power outage covers the whole building or just your apartment.

Buena suerte