My TI MSP430 launch pad came today

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I didn't install the 32.768 KHz crystal yet, I think from comments it's there when you need a real time clock for something as it worked without it. The 12 MHz was already on the board but it's on the emulation side, probably feeds some sort of reference though all those individually removable jumpers labeled as J3 or the uC defaults to some sort of capacitance as the clock generator if the crystal isn't present. I'll probably solder it in tomorrow but it's a tiny thing and I'm far too tired to deal with it.

I wouldn't have a clue as to how it checks temperatures nor did I hold it near a space heater to see if the flashing LEDs changed in frequency or duty cycle, just glad to get the software installed and it up and running.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if the MSP430 Launchpad is a loss-leader.
That part is obvious since the chips have been around for some time but apparently didn't sell as well as they expected so marketing had to be re-addressed. They've had development boards for the chips in the past but they were expensive, now that they're virtually giving them away it becomes a great advantage and learning platform regardless of which way you go in the long run.

Can you believe that I've actually found programs that will convert other high level languages such as FORTRAN, PASCAL and others into C?

Still a fan of Visual Studio though, it's extremely good at pointing out mistakes and any program I write will probably be on it not only due to my familiarity with the interface but also the ease of use. The free Express version download version will be more than anyone will ever need, I'd share my full copy but per my agreements and status with Microsoft I obviously can't.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Only 1 of the chips supplied has the temp sensor I believe...

And the one with the temp sensor also has and ADC, where the other in the box does not.

I have 4 of them. Dunno why. I only ordered 2. One for me and one for Rifaa.

PLayed with them quite a bit.

Nice for the price.

There is a nice loss to TI with pricing, but they are trying to get a slice of the multi-million dollar hobbyist uC market.

Attachments

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
You either got a volume discount, a mistake or they're about to start giving them away.

Yes, only one of the chips has the A/D but it's 8ch/10 bit which is plenty of resolution for most things.

All I can say is enjoy and keep us updated as to what you've been able to do with them.