my sister formatted our pc , with my pendrive attached

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
well title says it all

we formatted our PC , and accidentally i forgot my pen drive attached

the problem is , i had all my stuff backed up on there

now the system is not recognizing my pen drive

in "my computer" a "removable disk" icon appears but when i click it , it says " insert disk into drive g"

did i just loose all i had?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Your answer may depend somewhat on the way the format was done. As a simple, but not directly related example, Seagate has a disk utility that obliterates and formats the physical drive, regardless of how may logical drives it may be divided into. On the other hand, if you just use the DOS command to format the C: drive, then only the C: drive will be formatted. A logical D: drive will not be affected.

I think it is extremely unlikely the "pen" drive got formatted during the format of the C: drive, just as not every physical drive in the computer will get formatted, even with the above mentioned utility, unless one selects each drive to be formatted. It is more likely that the OS is not recognizing the UBS drive. Try your pen drive in another system that you know recognizes other pen drives.

It is also possible your sister formatted your pen drive by using its assigned drive letter. My suggestion will help you determine that.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
well title says it all

we formatted our PC , and accidentally i forgot my pen drive attached

the problem is , i had all my stuff backed up on there

now the system is not recognizing my pen drive

in "my computer" a "removable disk" icon appears but when i click it , it says " insert disk into drive g"

did i just loose all i had?
Have you tried it on another PC?

If you can get the drive mounted but seem to be missing data, might I suggest you use something like Recuva (freeware) to try and recover any deleted files.

Dave

I don't see how you could still be using your computer if the HDD was formatted......perhaps you could try the 'system restore' method.
May I suggest that you start backing your data up on optical disc's?

DOS can format/clean a HDD that has multiple partitions.....it is known as diskpart. First find out what your disk drive number is by looking it up in disk management.

In the command prompt type:
diskpart

then
select disk x (x is the drive number of your HDD)

then
clean

After this the drive will become unallocated and you can format the drive anyway you want.

I would like to take a stab at this...
It is posable that your sister did format your Pendrive, but highly unlikely because as Janhult said that you have to tell the system to format the Pendrive also.

1) Right click on My Computer and go to Managment.
2) Then press the + sign next to Storage and select Disk Management.
3) Look for anything that says removeable Disk and see if any thing is is stored on one of thoes.
4) If so then Read set 5 if not skip to step 7)
5) Right click on it and click Change Drive Letter and Path. Go ahead and Lable it G or really what ever you want.
6) Then check My Computer and see if it see the drive (might have to restart computer to take effect)
7) If you don't see anything there try steps 5 and 6 on another machine to see if it is getting the same error.