My first program using Verilog!

prophoss

Joined Feb 26, 2019
I know this is a bit goofy of me but I was able to get the LED to blink on my new FPGA! One of my teachers showed me a dev board that had several peripherals on it and a Cyclone iv FPGA on ebay. I got a little extra money for Christmas and ordered it from china. With out much thinking about it I was happy to wait till I got the board, and happy when I did. I learned a bit of verilog while I waited. When I got it in the mail I started to look over what all I needed to do to get it going. The only problem was that there was no documentation that came with it.

I had bought an arduino clone from china a while back but it came with a disc that had all the basic stuff on it and I guess I had thought this one would be much the same. I was wrong in assuming that one. After a bit of searching I did find a site that had all the specs in a zip folder, but when I downloaded it and tried to unzip it apparently winzip aint free no more! I am a full time student with a family and house etc... which means I work full time and so I don't have a lot of extra money laying around. I was able to find a free way to open the .rar file and now I had access to the pinout! Now to plug that into a verilog program. I found a youtube video on how to use quartus and I loaded the program. After a bit of playing around with it I finally go it to work!

I'm just kind of excited and this is about the only place I can share this sort of thing with others who might actually understand what this kind of thing means to someone just getting started.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Congrats! I'm guessing you're in middle school or high school. If you keep on this path and learn these things at a young age, and are willing to make sacrifices, get a bit of luck, and have some natural skill, then you will likely do really well in your career.

Not many people work in FPGA's because it's hard. Just look at how much movement this forum gets compared to the others - and were in the middle of winter - when discussions are at their highest for the year!

prophoss

Joined Feb 26, 2019
LOL, I'm 46 actually. I guess I'm a bit of a kid at heart. I just recently, within the past two years, started learning about computer coding and design. I loved it so much that when I lost my job in printing I went back to school for a computer engineering degree.