My first PCB

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I ran your board through my version of eagle, and it seems that there maybe some errors in your autorouting...... You should properly label all Vcc and Gnd connections, I was going to convert it to an NC milling file and use a ground plane for all the ground connections, but it seems your ground connections throughout the circuit is not continuous...

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
A couple of questions, and please forgive me if some of them reveals my ignorance... :rolleyes:

1. Are you supposed to have SMD and through-hole components on the same side?
  2. To connect the top and bottom (red and blue) layers together, have you used VIAS?
  3. When I start hiding layers, it appears that there's marked a hole on every pad to the through hole-components. Is that correct? (The boards I've made in Eagle does not have this. Have you marked them?) I need to hide layers to print out just PADS, VIAS and the TRACES. That's how I noticed it.
What about posting the schematic file as well...?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I've given it a try. Before I printed the circuit out on a transparent sheet, I removed some of the text. Only the tiniest, and some numbers, but I don't think that matters at all.

This PCB is FR4 epoxy, 35um SS 1.0mm thick.
Developed in Sodium hydroxside (NaOH) and etched in Natriumpersulfat (\(Na_{2}S_{2}O_{8}\))

There are some small pieces of copper left, small tiny dots. I think I could have etched it a few more minutes.

The picture is scanned in high resolution, and cropped to 640 x 295. The originally scan file was over 8 MB. :eek:

The board is not washed/cleaned. That's why it's some difference in colors of the traces.

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Does eagle have a hole-size editor. Many of the hole sizes are not optimal for DIY boards. And some of the pads could have been larger. You need as much copper as possible. As an anchor to the board. Since your board is not plated

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Does eagle have a hole-size editor. Many of the hole sizes are not optimal for DIY boards. And some of the pads could have been larger. You need as much copper as possible. As an anchor to the board. Since your board is not plated
Well... I guess it has. Or at least I can set the Drill sizes. To make bigger pads, I think you must edit the footprint.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Jens send it...I need to test my circuit and the programing...
How much do I owe you ? For the shipping that is :cool:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
How is your ironing going, by the way
I left a stain or burned mark on the bedsheets and it went all the way to the mattress..:D

I am now officially a criminal....:eek: I cannot explain to wife..

by the way that board has thru holes and SMD's

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I left a stain or burned mark on the bedsheets and it went all the way to the mattress..:D I am now officially a criminal....:eek: I cannot explain to wife.. by the way that board has thru holes and SMD's
Ok so in the process of making a PCB you burned your bedsheets, and your mattress. I think I understand. No on second thought I do NOT understand at all. And will not even try to understand. Why do you not free some space on your workbench for this kind of work :cool: The best thing is perhaps to continue the use of Nerdeguttas PCB service. Tell me if the service and quality is good. I might through in some orders my self.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ok so in the process of making a PCB you burned your bedsheets, and your mattress. I think I understand. No on second thought I do NOT understand at all. And will not even try to understand. Why do you not free some space on your workbench for this kind of work :cool: The best thing is perhaps to continue the use of Nerdeguttas PCB service. Tell me if the service and quality is good. I might through in some orders my self.
Ur not Wookie :cool:...( I know u wouldn't get what I mean)

I myself likes to see that he really is a Nerd..:D:D

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I think the term you are looking for is a US Marine. That outcools nerd.
Yes it does. Nerd is not even close. :)

Nice board.

But: I don't know what the components are, but I'm guessing that U1 is a 555 timer. (Cannot see the label), and that C4 is the by pass/ decoupling capacitor. And U2 and U3 also has some capacitors, C5 and C6, but I don't understand how they connect. Perhaps if I saw the pin config and knew the type of IC, it would be clear to me. Or maybe I just don understand... :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to Hi-jack the thread...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
There is one US Marine I know for sure...and that is Sgt.
Umm..jens, are u a Marine by any chance?

@ Bill...
Show me a video of that in action, may be I can use it here u know.

{ed} Bullock..:eek:
Wait ..wait...this just hit me....I need to learn how to say things.

I wasn't calling Sgt a nerd..I was wondering that Jens is really a NERD or not.. u know his nick starts with nerd..so it is easy to call him nerd:D

I dare not call Sgt a Nerd. He sometimes scares me u know...