My feelings are hurt. Send me $15 million.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
It's only been a short period of time in Qatar ... and now he wants to return to the U.S.

His sister was pretty outspoken here, I wonder how she likes the Qatar.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
@#12

My cash question was to you, since you stated you were illegally searched, I really don't expect you to reveal an exact amount, just zero or a lot.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@#12
My cash question was to you, since you stated you were illegally searched, I really don't expect you to reveal an exact amount, just zero or a lot.
Time for an English lesson. The quotation marks around the quotation means it is a quotation. The link below the quotation goes to the quotation at a different website. If you read the information at the link, you will see that somebody's wife said that quotation, and it was not I who said that.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Here is an excerpt from my personal writings:

"The next event was at about 13 years of age. I was digging in the garden to bury rotting pears to reduce the smell and the crowd of bees that liked the smell. A police car arrived and the cop asked me what I was doing. I simply dropped the shovel and walked into my home. I did not answer him. I did not look at him. I did not walk to his car when he told me to. I just walked away from a person so stupid that he could not understand that a person with a shovel, digging in a garden, is gardening."

I don't know how cops get that stupid and I don't know what he was trying to make out of a pimply kid burying rotten fruit. I only knew I was on my own private property and, if I was lucky, he wouldn't shoot me in the back.
You are very talented. Do you keep a regular diary?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You are very talented. Do you keep a regular diary?
Thank you, but, no. I generally don't consider my life to be so special that it's worth writing about. My sister asked me to write about some of my experiences. I have about 6 chapters done. One of them is about my interactions with police officers.

One I haven't written up yet was about buying the last Harry Potter book. I walked into Barnes and Noble wearing a t-shirt with a quote from a Harry Potter book. Front: "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." Rear, "Mischief Managed."

They had 2 rent-a-cops at the entrance and they said I couldn't go inside to buy the book I had reserved weeks ago. I said, "But other people are in there buying books." Then I turned and went to Walmart to buy the book.

I felt angry. Not because I expected a police officer would know anything about the books he was hired to guard. That would assume he knew how to read. I was angry with myself because I let him bait me into arguing with him. I knew better and I was ashamed of myself. :(

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
They had 2 rent-a-cops at the entrance and they said I couldn't go inside to buy the book I had reserved weeks ago. I said, "But other people are in there buying books." Then I turned and went to Walmart to buy the book.
That is messed up. Did he give you a "reason" for not being able to buy the book you got reserved?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Did he give you a "reason" for not being able to buy the book you had reserved?
I assume it was about the t-shirt, but there was no overt statement from the guards about, "why". Again, I assume they could read. That would have to be true if they objected to the shirt. I think they were just having some fun at my expense. I responded by voting with my feet. I took my money to a different store.

As a matter of providing some sense of proportion, There have been times when the capacity of the store was challenged by the number of people trying to buy Harry Potter books. That was not the case in this instance. I have seen about 200 people in that store for Book #6 but there were only about 30 people present when I arrived at, "opening night" for Book #7. I assume the crowd had thinned out because I did not arrive at midnight. It was more like 2:30 AM when I arrived to buy Book #7.

Referring to the title of this Thread, My feelings were hurt, but I did not ask for a few million dollars. I escaped without handcuffs and thought myself lucky. I felt a bit shamed, but I got away safely, in spite of blurting out the first though that ran through my head.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
"Rent-a-cops" or security guards generally have no authority beyond what ordinary citizens have in terms of lawful detainment or arrest. They are acting as delegated agents of the property owner or holder and are expected to act in the best interests of same.

I might have enjoyed calling the store manager over to explain the effect that his or her agents were having and once enough curious ears were listening, I may have announced my intention to purchase the goods at Walmart at a better price and left.

P.S. If you could have maneuvered the agents into verbalizing an objection to the message on your shirt as their pretext for barring you, you could have sued on the basis that they violated your first amendment right to freedom of expression.

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
@#12

I like going to Barnes & Noble stores, but I seldom buy anything there.

I despise going to Wal-Mart, but I buy too much stuff there.

I have never read a single word from a Harry Potter book.

I don't understand the message on your shirt.

I am amazed that you would go to a bookstore in the wee hours for any reason.

You could have probably gotten the book for free had you asked for the manager. (What a tightwad I am.)

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have never read a single word from a Harry Potter book.
I don't understand the message on your shirt.
I am amazed that you would go to a bookstore in the wee hours for any reason.
We have a word for you: muggle, noun, one who has no magic in their life.:(
Example:
The rent-a-cops were obviously muggles. They were at a Midnight Special book sale of the fastest selling book in the history of our planet, and they had no idea what it was about.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to get to work on my latest car. I'm taking the magic out of the ignition system so I can use $3 keys instead of the Factory Required $130 keys.