Multisim course work - Create a voting system

Laimonas Švilpa

Joined May 15, 2018
I would like to ask for help with creating a voting system using Multisim program, the task is to create a voting system so 6 people would be able to vote with answers YES/NO 1/0, after that i would need to sum up how many people voted YES and display the amount that voted using 7segment indicator.
Thank you for your help in advance.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

For homework, you need to show your best effort so we can see where you're having difficulties.

Laimonas Švilpa

Joined May 15, 2018
Basically i need guidance how to connect all of the votes (either 1's or 0's) to the full adder circuit, or if am i supposed to use a couple of them, because we only learnt how to use it with 2 variables - A + B, thus i'd need to do A+B+C+D+E+F

Laimonas Švilpa

Joined May 15, 2018
English isn't my native language, so this translation may be a bit off, but task goes like this:
Create a voting system which has vote counting element and system control module (like binary adder, binary reader etc...) and information display element (like 7 segment indicator). The voting system must have vote synchronization and termination (to null everything) functions. At one point maximum of 6 people can vote using Yes/No answers.
I wouldnt say that we have any restrictions but since thays the most of the stuff we learned, this would be the limits:
Ansi and iso elements (AND, OR, NAND etc.)
Circuits:
Full adder(FA) Half adder (HA) Converter( 7seg/DEC to binary and another way binary to 7seg/DEC)
Multikomplexer (MUX) Demultikomplexer (DMUX)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
English isn't my native language, so this translation may be a bit off, but task goes like this:
Okay, I think I have the gist of what you're supposed to do.

Post what you have so far. Seeing what you're trying to do might help me understand what you mean by up to 6 people being able to vote at the same time.

Will they be voting on more than one thing?

Laimonas Švilpa

Joined May 15, 2018
They are only voting on one thing with answers yes or no, i'll upload what i have once i'm back. Good thing, i figured out the summing up the votes part now the only things are left display (i semi have an idea on hoe to do it) but i'm puzzled abour termination/synchronization functions

Laimonas Švilpa

Joined May 15, 2018
I've got 6 people voting either yes or no (switches either give out 1 or 0 respectively to say yes/no) Then i use half and full adders to sum the votes up, but now the problem arises how do i connect full adder to the Binary - 7segment convertor, and from that convertor to the 7segment decoder ->display?

Attachments

Laimonas Švilpa

Joined May 15, 2018
Task is given that the maximum number of votes is 6, Thus with a full adder i'm trying to add up all the 1's(Votes that said Yes) into one binary number for example if all 6votes are YES the binary code would end up being `110` if i'm not mistaken doing this with the Full adders would end up with the code 110 in the given example?

Laimonas Švilpa

Joined May 15, 2018
Oh jeezz, i just realised what you're trying to tell me, these full adders add only 1 bit binary numbers and the output is only that 1bit number. Trying to work it out now.

Laimonas Švilpa

Joined May 15, 2018
I now see where the new problem arises, the sum would be 8, considering i'd have to connect carry over to the convertors 'D' port. because those 2 numbers that i'm adding up would be 100+100=1000 (in binary code) I came with 1 another way, but i'm not so sure about it because i can't check how it works, if you could i'd like to hear from you if this method could work out?
(red=1st bit, blue=2nd bit, green=3rd bit, black=4th bit(but i shouldn't be able to get it as an answer)

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Because i can't run it
Just do it in your head.

If E and F are 1, sum and carry from U3 are 1. If A, B, C, and D are 0, the output of U4 is 1 (CO = 0) and the output of U6 is 1 (CO = 0). That makes the output of U7 1 (CO=0) and U8 0 (CO = 0). That gives 1's on the A and B inputs of the decoder (or 3), for two votes.

If you can't do this, you shouldn't be using a simulator until you have a better grasp of fundamentals. Using a simulator would be like using a calculator to add before you knew how to do it mentally.