Multiple Source Power Supply

Bob O

Joined Jul 3, 2007
I’m doing experiments for class at home and I find myself needing multiple voltage sources. I have been plugging in a number of batteries to the bread board but this getting to be cumbersome and messy.
I have tried to make a split source power supply from one battery but I couldn’t get it to work.
Does anyone have any good links on building a multiple source power supply?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I use a regulated AC to DC wall adapter from Jameco (jameco.com). Look for one with multiple outputs. Mine is Motorola (Motorola part 512-305-4C3E; jameco #154624cg) which has +5 and +/-12 volts. Cut the plug off and use whatever adapters you need. I made a little box with banana plug sockets/terminal posts and switches for the +5 and +12 volts. Unfortunately, that particular part number seems to be out of stock. There are others, however, that are only slightly more expensive. The Motorola was $13; the others are still less than $20.
John

Bob O

Joined Jul 3, 2007
jpanhalt,

Thank you for the reply and recommendation.
After tonights class, do you have a recommendation for a signal/function generator?

Thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
For a function generator, that depends on how much you want to make for yourself vs. buy and your budget. There used to be a single-chip kit on the market (about $20), but the chip went obsolete. It may still be available in some areas. I had one, and it was usable, but not particularly stable. I then went with a Victor brand VC2002. Actally, it is a Chinese import sold by a variety of dealers under different names on the internet and e-Bay. My uses are not too demanding, and I am pretty happy with it. It was around $100, as I recall.

Edit: Just search on VC2002 on eBay. They are all around $110. "Sinometer" is another name that seems identical.

One other thought on the PS. I assumed you wanted the simplest solution, short of buying one completely made. It is a little more work, but you may also want to consider making a supply from a used PC supply. The ATX supplies are very popular. You have to add a load resistor, and there are many descriptions of how to do it on the web. John