Multi Channel Audio Cutout Circuit

The Fishinfiend

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Hi, I am working on trying to build my own helmet communication system and would like to have, for starters, a system with 2 inputs and one output. With the 2 inputs one would be a walkie talkie and the other would be a mp3 player. So, I would like it to play the music until someone speaks on the 2 way and at that point the music would be cutout completely and all you will hear is what is on the 2 way until they are done talking at which point you can hear the music again.

Thanks for the help.

The Fishinfiend

Joined Feb 5, 2018
They are Uniden GMR5089 handheld radios. It use a 2.5mm stereo plug with sleeve GRD, ring SPK, and tip MIC. I checked that out with the included headset (uses the PTT button on the radio) that won't work for what I want to do.

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
They are Uniden GMR5089 handheld radios. It use a 2.5mm stereo plug with sleeve GRD, ring SPK, and tip MIC. I checked that out with the included headset (uses the PTT button on the radio) that won't work for what I want to do.
So what is plan B? If you can figure out the radio part I have a vox and audio circuit that will work.
SG

Last edited:

The Fishinfiend

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Plan B would be a mixing circuit with a PTT button that would cutoff Mic to the phone. Then I would keep the volume on the talkie louder than the music.

The Fishinfiend

Joined Feb 5, 2018
The reason why for the PTT button is I am placing this on a snowmobile and i would sooner not have to mess with the radio's button if I don't have to.

The Fishinfiend

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Not if I have to. I just thought of maybe using a button to switch Mic outputs from phone to 2 way and have VOX turned on the radio so if I start singing to myself or hit a rock the MIC won't open.

The Fishinfiend

Joined Feb 5, 2018
O just wired up the circuit and it works somewhat. The problem I am having is that I need a delay. So my question is how would you add a delay to that circuit?

Would you use a 555 or just add a cap?

The relay coil is 745 ohms and it runs on 12v.

Thanks for the input.

The Fishinfiend

Joined Feb 5, 2018
Thanks sghioto for the quick response .

I wired up the VOX circuit in the link above and it works, but the relay clicks on and off too fast.

I am thinking about a 2 second delay before the relay would be shut off once it stops receiving.