Much Help Needed: Custom Transformer Fabricator

305pelusa

Joined Nov 20, 2019
Hello,
I need a high voltage pulse transformer for an application. I have already designed it (I know what wiring, turns ratio, number of turns, core, etc) I want. I just don't have the technology to do correctly (it might require some potting).

Does any one know of places that will work with you to make a small pulse transformer for you? I'm thinking there's dozens of small shops across the US that can do this but might not have a social media presence to find. So far, the more popular custom places (ex: Xfrmrs Inc, CoilWS, etc) have said they won't take this job.
Any help is appreciated thanks!

305pelusa

Joined Nov 20, 2019
did you specify volumes? i am sure anyone will jump at the opportunity if the numbers of units are large.
It's not high volume. 3-5 pcs tops. I suspect that's why some have rejected it. Know any place who will take this sort of request. It's just acquiring a core, winding it carefully and correctly, and then potting.

305pelusa

Joined Nov 20, 2019
Output = 30kW, 22kV, 10us pulse. Most likely will require potting. I'm this close to just buying the stuff myself and getting a potting house to do it but I'd rather let professionals handle the whole deal. I know there must be places that can, I just can't find them.
Alternatively, if you know any Xfmr family that can hit those specs, I'm all ears. The stuff from Perkin Elmer can handle the power/voltage but not for that long of a pulse (they saturate too quickly).

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
perhaps start with verifying your calculations and materials choice somewhere

you also need to be aware of the operating temperatures (TF coils + magnetic chain) . . . will be sky rocketing under any flaw in TF or Driver design

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Any help is appreciated thanks!
I have winding machines. Many types of wire. I don't do much transformer work now days.
30kW larger than I normally do, 22kV that makes it hard, 10us pulse is ok.
I am interested in seeing your drawings. I have done many TV set flyback transformers.
I do not have vacuum potting machines.
To be blunt:
It may take a day or two to make the jigs that mate your transformers to my machines.
I am concerned that you don't have experience with kV transformers and the thing will not work.
Transformer houses do not want to use up engineering time with 3-5 pieces.
You don't want to pay for the engineering time.

I will look at your drawings and see if I think it can be done. (no charge) Where are you? I am in Colorado, USA.
I think there is a way to send me a private message if you don't want every one to see what you are doing.
Ron S.