MPPT design choice

fouad belkhadem

Joined Jun 28, 2018
I plan to build Solar charger 55V input max with lead-acid battery 12v 150Ah ,i found 2 interesting designes ,i would like to know the pros an cons of each one (power stage) to help choose one that fit my requirement.

Attachments

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Both are essentially 'intelligent' buck converters (#2 is actually buck/boost)- intelligent in the sense there is an MCU monitoring input current and voltage and driving the MOSFETs, adjusting duty cycle/frequency/etc. to maximise power transfer whilst respecting the battery charge characteristics and charge state. #1 is much simpler/cruder and uses a confusing -ve rail configuration. Paralleling the MOSFETs as shown is possibly problematic for higher powers. Without access to the code for the MCU its hard to say more; if you don't have access to the code then neither is an option!

fouad belkhadem

Joined Jun 28, 2018
Both are essentially 'intelligent' buck converters (#2 is actually buck/boost)- intelligent in the sense there is an MCU monitoring input current and voltage and driving the MOSFETs, adjusting duty cycle/frequency/etc. to maximise power transfer whilst respecting the battery charge characteristics and charge state. #1 is much simpler/cruder and uses a confusing -ve rail configuration. Paralleling the MOSFETs as shown is possibly problematic for higher powers. Without access to the code for the MCU its hard to say more; if you don't have access to the code then neither is an option!
the code part is not an issue ,i can made my own code using esp32,my concern is the harware ^part especially the power stage,for degihn #1 a will add current and voltage monitor for both sides (solar panel and battery side) ,to be honnest i prefer the first design since it is simpler but for the effeciency and durability i dont know wich one is better

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
I would immediately go with a ready made chip and start from there. LTC4020 is a good choise. It has a limited MPPT, you can use MCU and proper external parts to build MCU based MPPT if needed.