MPLab 8.92 Problem Finding Files

Thread Starter

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
8,347
MPLAB 8.92
Assembly language

I keep a couple of sandbox project files for quickly testing code before moving it to a bigger project. Upon opening one of the projects, I got the dreaded "file not found message." Went to the add file dialog, found the file, added it, deleted the one labeled "not found, "and everything seemed normal. Assembled, saved, etc.

Next session, same thing happened. Tried the "find file" dialog (right click), identified the path, saved, and so forth. As before it worked, but when opening a new session, the source file can't be found. Relabeled the file. Same process and relabeled file can't be found, but is there.

I only only tested one other project just in case it is a MPLAb corruption. That opened and closed fine. So, I am assuming the glitch is in that one project file. An obvious solution is to set up a new project and copy the existing files to it.

Before I do that, is there a known fix to that type of corrupted project file? I presume deleting one of more of the project files and not the whole project might work, but I don't know which files that might be.

John
 

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
4,289
MPLAB 8.92
Assembly language

I keep a couple of sandbox project files for quickly testing code before moving it to a bigger project. Upon opening one of the projects, I got the dreaded "file not found message." Went to the add file dialog, found the file, added it, deleted the one labeled "not found, "and everything seemed normal. Assembled, saved, etc.

Next session, same thing happened. Tried the "find file" dialog (right click), identified the path, saved, and so forth. As before it worked, but when opening a new session, the source file can't be found. Relabeled the file. Same process and relabeled file can't be found, but is there.

I only only tested one other project just in case it is a MPLAb corruption. That opened and closed fine. So, I am assuming the glitch is in that one project file. An obvious solution is to set up a new project and copy the existing files to it.

Before I do that, is there a known fix to that type of corrupted project file? I presume deleting one of more of the project files and not the whole project might work, but I don't know which files that might be.

John
This doesn't directly apply to your question, but you might want to consider using Git to manage your projects. It will allow you to create experimental branches effortlessly, and then merge them seamlessly into your main code branch as they are developed. You'll never lose any prior history, and you can work anywhere.
 

Thread Starter

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
8,347
Hi Joey,

I downloaded Git quite awhile back. Just have never gotten around to using it.

I have solved the problem without making a new project file. I had tried re-naming the asm file to something different, and that didn't work. Then, I opened the asm file in MPLab, copied it (ctrl+a , ctrl+c) and pasted to Notebook. Then copied from Notebook to a "new file" in MPLab and saved it as an asm file in the project folder.

Finally, I added that file as the source file using the dialog. The purpose of using Notebook was the remove any hidden control characters or error flags. On closing and reopening, that file is now found -- at least for now.
 
Top