Movie Reboots

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
The remake of All Quiet On The Western Front wasn't a patch on the original 1930 film. The same with The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty in 1947. Nowadays you don't get actors playing several roles in the same film, e.g. Alec Guinness in Kind Hearts And Coronets, or Alistair Sim in the St Trinians comedies.
Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. :D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://qz.com/933122/the-matrix-reboot-hollywood-has-run-out-of-all-the-ideas/
In our hearts, we all knew this day would come. Warner Bros. is planning a reboot of The Matrix just 18 years after the iconic sci-fi action film dazzled audiences around the world, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Case in point: Paramount Pictures. The studio took a $450 million losslast year on the heels of several colossal franchise flops, includingRings, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Zoolander 2. Now Paramount is now looking for a new CEO, and having trouble finding one. (Sony, responsible for last year’s box office bomb Ghostbusters, was forced to take a $1 billion write down on its movie business in January.)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...hers-reveal-building-blocks-storytelling.html

"There are just SIX plots in every film, book and TV show ever made"
This is misleading in a sense. It gives the impression that there can be no originality in storytelling because there's only six possible plots. But what do we say all the time in EE -- that all signals can be written as a summation of sine waves. Does that mean that all waveforms are the same? Of course not, just that they are built upon a common foundation.

This "research" appears to be a reboot itself. I took a Writing Fiction course as an elective back in 1990 and one of the first things the teacher (Joanne Greenberg) explained was that all stories could be framed into one of six story arcs, namely these six -- or potentially an overlay of multiple such arcs running in parallel. Many, many movies (possibly more so than books) fall into the Rise-Fall-Rise plot line. Consider, for example, Top Gun. The hero rises to the pinnacle of their profession and everything is going their way, then they crash (literally, in this case) and lose everything, but then find a way to overcome the tragedy and reclaim their place on top of the world again.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Some things like 'Star Wars' are obvious copies of French comics themes/plots but are still extremely popular because of the storytelling.

Originality is in the handling of the themes/plots but to me that's not the most important thing. What I like to see in a movie reboot/remake is true improvement over the original story. I would love to see a reboot/remake of the this movie and series of books.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Originality is in the handling of the themes/plots but to me that's not the most important thing.
And yet, originality is what gives birth to a new age in any art... But to add to your comment, most of the time the first work containing a new idea or style is not instantly the best representation of that new genre, but rather it's normally taken up by others and built upon until it reaches perfection. The Impressionist movement comes to mind.

A perfect example of what I'm trying to convey here, is the story behind the creation of Oscar Wilde's "Salomé".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And yet, originality is what gives birth to a new age in any art... But to add to your comment, most of the time the first work containing a new idea or style is not instantly the best representation of that new genre, but rather it's normally taken up by others and built upon until it reaches perfection. The Impressionist movement comes to mind.

A perfect example of what I'm trying to convey here, is the story behind the creation of Oscar Wilde's "Salomé".
There's a flip side to that coin, as well. Often once you see when something "new" that meets with success, you then soon see endless inferior copy cats by people that couldn't pour an original thought out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel. Countless examples abound. Recall all of the space opera movies and TV shows that popped up after Star Wars? All of the reality shows that exploded after Survivor? All of the medical dramas that followed the success of ER? All of the zombie movies? All of the vampire movies? All of the comic-book based movies? All of the movies based on old board games? My understanding is the same thing happens frequently in daytime soap operas -- I guess one of them introduced some psychic element into the show and pretty soon almost all of them had some supernatural twist to them (until it ran its course, like most of the knockoffs do). It's the result of largely untalented folks riding the coat tails of something successful because they simply can't do anything else.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There's a flip side to that coin, as well.
It's the result of largely untalented folks riding the coat tails of something successful because they simply can't do anything else.
That sometimes leads to a 'WTF' reboot movie like Kong Skull Island.

Apocalypse Now you Bad monster.

Asian actress so the movie makes money in China.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Recall all of the space opera movies and TV shows that popped up after Star Wars?
Yes, I found this one while looking for something else.

This needs a reboot but it will hard to CGI a good replacement for Caroline Munro.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm pretty sure I've never heard of that one -- but it sure is an obvious ripoff of Star Wars on so many levels.

It was actually a very interesting time in movie and television shows -- Star Wars was a turning point in special effects and a quantum leap in making space movies so much more realistic (it still largely holds up even against today's capabilities). So all the wannabes that came along did one of two things -- either they used the old techniques and tried to ride solely on the basic coat tails with pretty much zero effort into making a decent plot, or they actually tried to leverage the special effects capabilities and usually (though not always, by any means) had better plot lines. This makes some sense as the folks in the first group generally had zero ability on their own and so were trying to make a fast buck without any effort at all, while the second group where more likely to involve teams with basically solid skills who were trying to take advantage of new techniques but still trying to ride the coat tails of a marketing phenomenon while they came up to speed on the new technology.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
What happened to the days when they made Asian action movies like this one with no CGI or even Asians.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The reboot of the Italian Job with Donald Sutherland was a million times better than the orginal with Micheal Caine in my opinion.