Movie Reboots

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have been sorely disappointed in the past of many old remakes, that, IMO just did not cut it, especially when Holywood got into the act.
Such movies based on the writings of Dickens, Robert l. Stevenson, Oscar Wilde etc, ( who could forget Robert Newton as the definitive L.J.Silver)?
Character actors such as Chas Laughton, Alistair Sim, Laurence Olivier, Alec Guinness, Otoole, to name a few.
Max.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
They need to do a remake of all the story writers that they ran off during the 1990's.
Then we could watch some original, NEW movies and they wouldn't have to remake an already written movie.
PAY for some writers Hollywood!

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I have been sorely disappointed in the past of many old remakes, that, IMO just did not cut it, especially when Holywood got into the act.
The most pathetic for me, is the remake of "The nutty professor" with Eddie Murphy. Obscene jokes I did not like.

The original, with Jerry Lewis, is really good. The sequence, near the end, when he starts to reconvert into his real self in front of the public, I found always touching and well performed.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I hate the crap we get today. And an audio engineer is an extinct species. I haven't seen a movie or a tv show in years where you don't have to constantly adjust volume, if you want to hear the dialog and not suffer permanent ear damage.
Hi tech crap that you HAVE to interact with it. They make all the sound effects about a hundred times too loud, and the dialog is in whispers. I put the tv on the old time shows. Set the volume and it plays all day and you can hear the dialog without ear damage. If I were an audio engineer, I would shave my ass, and walk backwards.

And the actors have no personality. Or persona. When you go to a James Cagney movie, you don't need to know anything else. Your going get James Cagney. You are not going to get James acting like a "character". You're gonna get the story character acting like Cagney. No matter what parts these old actors played, you always got that persona.
There are no acting personas today. They try to play a different character, instead of playing the character with their own persona.
I know this is against all modern thought. But what has modern thought brought us?

Tinnitus.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
The remake of All Quiet On The Western Front wasn't a patch on the original 1930 film. The same with The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty in 1947. Nowadays you don't get actors playing several roles in the same film, e.g. Alec Guinness in Kind Hearts And Coronets, or Alistair Sim in the St Trinians comedies.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm loving it.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ben-hur-box-office-bomb-1201841796/
Like “The Lone Ranger” or “Battleship,” “Ben-Hur” is one of those massive box office wipe-outs that defies easy comprehension. How could something go this disastrously wrong?

After all, 1959’s “Ben-Hur” was an Oscar-winning smash that remains beloved. Posters for the Charlton Heston epic proclaimed that the film offered “An entertainment experience of a lifetime,” and its chariot races are still considered to be a high-point in action choreography.

In contrast, the new “Ben-Hur” wasn’t even the “entertainment experience of the third weekend of August.” After debuting to a paltry $11.4 million, it is certain to go down as one of the summer’s biggest flops. “The BFG” just breathed a huge sigh of relief.

The Los Angeles Times’ Kenneth Turan dismissed the latest “Ben-Hur” as a “dull and lethargic piece of work” that had little reason to exist. Variety‘s Owen Gleiberman labeled it “sludgy and plodding,” lamenting that star Jack Huston paled in comparison to Heston. The Hollywood Reporter’s Todd McCarthy asked simply, “what were they thinking?” And those were some of the nicer ones. It all amounted to a wretched 29% “rotten” rating on critics aggregator Rotten Tomatoes and a measly 37% on Metacritic.

The Hollywood Reporter’s Todd McCarthy asked simply, “what were they thinking?” And those were some of the nicer ones.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Inflation-adjusted economics of the projects (today's dollars)::
1959 version
Production budget: $126M
Marketing budget: $121M
ticket sales: $601M

2016 version
Production Budget: "Just Under $100M"
Marketing Budget: Not disclosed
ticket sales (First week): $16M

Stephen Holden wrote, "Overseen by a director not known for his human touch and lacking a name star, except for Mr. Freeman, Ben-Hur feels like a film made on the cheap, although it looks costly."[

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The most pathetic for me, is the remake of "The nutty professor" with Eddie Murphy. Obscene jokes I did not like.

The original, with Jerry Lewis, is really good. The sequence, near the end, when he starts to reconvert into his real self in front of the public, I found always touching and well performed.
I disagree. I liked Eddie Murphy's version better.
And the actors have no personality. Or persona. When you go to a James Cagney movie, you don't need to know anything else. Your going get James Cagney. You are not going to get James acting like a "character". You're gonna get the story character acting like Cagney. No matter what parts these old actors played, you always got that persona.
There are no acting personas today. They try to play a different character, instead of playing the character with their own persona.
I know this is against all modern thought. But what has modern thought brought us?
I disagree. Adam sandler is pretty much Adam sandler any move he is in.:p:oops:
Same with Arnold schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Tom Arnold, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Samuel L Jackson, Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, Steven Seagal, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, and at least a hundred other big name actors from over the last 30 years. :rolleyes:

Personally I think guys like Cagney were overhyped and overpaid hacks that couldn't act. That's why they always came across as themselves. They had no depth or range to be anyone but that one person. :oops:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Personally I think guys like Cagney were overhyped and overpaid hacks that couldn't act. That's why they always came across as themselves. They had no depth or range to be anyone but that one person. :oops:
Not Cagney, that guy was one hell of an actor.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
White Heat was a boring movie. Watch it again. You won't make it through. The rotating "directional" antenna put me to sleep - the longest and slowest police chase in history. This movie certainly did not stand the test of time. Also, Cagney looks, dresses and acts the same character in every police/crime movie (and he was in plenty). All the same whether he place the cop or the villian. Laughable that he is considered "a great". Mostly loved by his peers for sticking it to the movie studios in court, not for his acting.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
He was before my time and I am not a fan of his types of movies.

The ability to dance does not equate to an ability to act.

To me a good actor is one who blends into their characters so completely that you don't even know they were in the movie until you see their name in the credits!