Motors with high torque/speed

Judder01

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hi,

I am currently working on a project and have been having difficulty finding a motor that suits our needs. For simplicity, we choice to use a DC (geared) motor. However, the motor needs to be around 0.8 Nm of torque at 1500 rpm (or equivalent, higher torque slower speed or lower torque higher speed is fine as it will be run through a gearbox) and having looked around it seems as though this is not possible.

Is it possible to find DC motors with this kind of performance? If not, does anyone have any suggestions? I have seen induction motors have good torque however our source of power is 2 x 6V batteries...

Thanks, any advice is much appreciated!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
This tells me that you need at least a 130W to make that power. The gearbox will have some losses, so I guess 150W motor should be ok. At 12V that is 12.5A.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
DC motors in the range of .8Nm torque should be plentiful?
I am working with some DC motors at present that are 3Nm.
Also your torque will increase by the ratio of the reduction.
DC motors generally have a fairly flat torque curve up to the rated max rpm. Where torque is maximum at zero rpm.
Max.

Judder01

Joined Mar 1, 2015
This tells me that you need at least a 130W to make that power. The gearbox will have some losses, so I guess 150W motor should be ok. At 12V that is 12.5A.
DC motors in the range of .8Nm torque should be plentiful?
I am working with some DC motors at present that are 3Nm.
Also your torque will increase by the ratio of the reduction.
DC motors generally have a fairly flat torque curve up to the rated max rpm. Where torque is maximum at zero rpm.
Max.
Thanks for the replies.

There is plenty at the torque rating but all have really slow speeds. I believe I have found one that operates at 2Nm at 276 rpm which is by far the best I have found at ~£180. This will most likely be run through a 30:1 worm wheel gear set, so slightly faster would be ideal although I'm not sure it is possible, especially with power limitations.

Cheers,