Motorcycle Rectifier Regulator ------- Only one rectifier getting hot [SOLVED]

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Ok, try this with your circuit connected to the alternator/dynamo, engine off, measure the resistance between the alternator outputs and the battery terminals to see if there's a shortage.

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
But now I give up - I have no idea why the diode is overheating.
First of all, I am sorry for some mistake on my side due to which I gave you incorrect feedback.

I have been testing my circuit mostly on Bike A (sometimes on Bike B and C). All these three bikes were equipped with original stator (generator) which has a pair of coils, both having one end grounded to the chassis. That’s why as per your evaluation the D3 was getting hot.

When I received your instruction for checking the stator coil I was away from my work place and I checked another bike D (similar model). Unfortunately, it was equipped with Chinese stator having single coil which deceived me to forward you incorrect information.

When you gave up, next day I tested the circuit on bike D and found it to be working perfectly. That confused me so I checked the stators of bike A, B & C and then got the whole picture. Luckily, I found the manual of the bike on the net which confirmed that, that model is originally equipped with dual coils having one end grounded. Therefore, my circuit is not suitable for these bikes. Hence, my problem seems to be solved. However, I need some modification in my circuit to suit these bikes and I hope to start a new thread after some initial working.

Really grateful to you and all others for sparing time to help me.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
First of all, I am sorry for some mistake on my side due to which I gave you incorrect feedback.

I have been testing my circuit mostly on Bike A (sometimes on Bike B and C). All these three bikes were equipped with original stator (generator) which has a pair of coils, both having one end grounded to the chassis. That’s why as per your evaluation the D3 was getting hot.

When I received your instruction for checking the stator coil I was away from my work place and I checked another bike D (similar model). Unfortunately, it was equipped with Chinese stator having single coil which deceived me to forward you incorrect information.

When you gave up, next day I tested the circuit on bike D and found it to be working perfectly. That confused me so I checked the stators of bike A, B & C and then got the whole picture. Luckily, I found the manual of the bike on the net which confirmed that, that model is originally equipped with dual coils having one end grounded. Therefore, my circuit is not suitable for these bikes. Hence, my problem seems to be solved. However, I need some modification in my circuit to suit these bikes and I hope to start a new thread after some initial working.

Really grateful to you and all others for sparing time to help me.
Don't start a new thread or responders will have to re-hash what went on here. Please keep it here.

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Don't start a new thread or responders will have to re-hash what went on here. Please keep it here.
I saw your reply after starting the new thread.
It has totally different issue. If you still feel that it should be here, I will do that.