motor speed circuit board

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have a micro mill drill, it uses a DC motor driven by a speed controler,
the motor is hooked directly to the controller.

When I run a tap into a hole for threading, I turn the machine completely off, and spin the chuck by hand, I'll turn the chuck forward about a turn then back off a turn continuously until the part is completely threaded through, sometime as much as a half inch, my question is this,

by turning the chuck back and forth continually abruptly as I'm doing this tapping process, could I possibly cause damage to the controller, by doing this?

Thanks for anyones help.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Any voltage potential developed across you motor when used as a generator will be proportional to the speed at which you turn it. You are turning at a couple dozen RPM at most, so the developed voltage will be negligible. Sudden reversals will only reverse the potential, not increase its magnitude.

With the power off, manual turning of the chuck will have no effect on the motor. With no power applied, the motor is just another spindle on a set of bearings. Your technique for tapping has been used by many thousands of machinists for many decades.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
With the power off, manual turning of the chuck will have no effect on the motor. With no power applied, the motor is just another spindle on a set of bearings. Your technique for tapping has been used by many thousands of machinists for many decades.
Thankyou.

But it's not the motor I'm concerned about, but the electronic controller hooked directly to the motor.