Motor Question

omnispace

Joined Jul 25, 2007
Coefficient of Performance.

I learned how to calculate it for refrigerators and heat pumps in Thermodynamics, but I don't know how to get it for motors. I've only seen it referred to on a few sites, and it appears that for motors it can only be between 0 and 1, which must be completely different from heat pumps (which normally have a COP > 1).

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
havent come across that term used for motors its a heat developed to work supplied ratio right?
do u have an idea in terms of motors what should it mean?

omnispace

Joined Jul 25, 2007
Thanks for the info, unfortunately my whole reason for wanting to know COP of a motor is so I could understand (and evaluate) Tom Bearden's (the guy who runs cheniere.org) essays.

If that is the only site that mentions motor COP, that must mean they are the only ones that have bothered to use it, which means it isn't really a standard definition. Still, it seems to follow the same form as that used for heat pumps. That paper should me help a lot, thanks.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You want to understand Tom Bearden's essays? No problem, drink VERY heavily before reading them. Or use mind altering drugs. You need to eliminate as many brain cells as possible in order to buy into his double-talk and psudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo.

Evaluating them is easy. They're snake oil. He pretends to be a modern day Tesla, but he's really P.T.Barnum.