Motion detector light with add on switch and extra light

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jrh65, Feb 1, 2018.

1. jrh65

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    I am newcomer so this is my 1st post. I am a retired tech looking for a little advise on a home project. I want to install a double LED motion detecting light outside a bedroom but I want to be able to turn it on anytime from inside with a switch. I want to also add on another light to shine in both directions with one motion detector in the middle. I tested out this theory on a test motion detector module in the shop and when I throw the switch it blows the motion detector. I am thinking I need a diode of some type to prevent backflow of current. Am I thinking in the right direction? If so what type or size of a diode, and where to buy it?
    Here is the motion/light I will be using; https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-...V-p-54844.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN
    Add on light: https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-...V-p-30604.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

Thanks Bobby

2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi bobby,
    Welcome to AAC.
    You are working with mains AC, you cannot use a blocking diode in that circuit.

E

3. jrh65

Jan 30, 2018
    Mains AC? Suggestions?

4. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi,
    You could add a mains relay coil across the light operated by the PIR, and its contacts control the second light.
    E

5. jrh65

Jan 30, 2018
    I guess I was not clear in my original question? I can add the extra light by just paralleling the other light, but I need to add a switch to turn it on without the use of the motion detector. I suppose I could use a relay to do that too, but seems like a bit of an overkill to add on a relay and all this would need to be inside a ceiling box outside which would also mean extra wiring from inside too right?

When you stated, "You are working with mains AC, you cannot use a blocking diode in that circuit." What does "mains AC" mean? Also is a blocking diode only for dc circuits?
    In my attached drawing, the switched power on the backside of the motion detector blew the circuit in the motion detector in the test.

6. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi jrh,
    You did say you are a retired tech, as am I.
    As you know, a diode will block an Alternating Current in only one direction.
    So on the alternate unblocked half cycle there would be mains [ local power supply] across the PIR.

E

EDIT:

your diagram shows the 2nd light controlled in one condition, by the PIR, are you sure that the PIR can control two lights without damage.?

Is this an option.?
    A001.gif

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  7. jrh65

Jan 30, 2018

8. jrh65

Jan 30, 2018
    Not sure, is there a limit to the number of lights a PIR can control?
    In your drawing looks like the switch has to be on for the PIR to work?

9. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    The original switch will give you the option to turn the lights Off completly, even when the PIR is detecting.
    The two pole switch enables you to select manual or PIR lights On.

Is that what you are asking.?
    E

10. jrh65

Jan 30, 2018
    Yes, I see now what you mean now, I suppose that would work. That would mean another wire from inside to the circuit for the 2 pole and the original on/off switch. Maybe this is not as easy as I thought it would be? Maybe I need to rethink it.
    Thanks for your help E.
    Bobby

11. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi Bobby,
    My concern is the extra load on the PIR LED driver, it could damage the driver.

E

12. jrh65

Jan 30, 2018
    Good thought E and one I never considered. Maybe that's why I already burned out one PIR already. I think I'll step back and reconfigure this project more after talking with you. Thank you so much for your input.
    Bobby