MOSFET's - What are the most common for hobbies?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I'm looking for something in the TO92 package size, and mostly for an N type. Not that I have a purpose for one right now, just that MOSFETS are something lacking in my stock box.

Please don't ask what I'm building - I'm building up my stock and would like to have some N channel MOSFETS available. Even some P channel might be useful, but I'm not experienced with them. The MOST I'm familiar with is CMOS devices, and that probably doesn't count.

What do you recommend for a good standard N channel MOS to have in my box of goodies?

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
I'm looking for something in the TO92 package size, and mostly for an N type. Not that I have a purpose for one right now, just that MOSFETS are something lacking in my stock box.

Please don't ask what I'm building - I'm building up my stock and would like to have some N channel MOSFETS available. Even some P channel might be useful, but I'm not experienced with them. The MOST I'm familiar with is CMOS devices, and that probably doesn't count.

What do you recommend for a good standard N channel MOS to have in my box of goodies?
max voltage and current ratings of Mosfet ?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Most likely low voltage projects, in the 5 to 24 volt range. Could use some recommendations for some higher ratings too, say into the 120 volt range, but that's less likely. I plan to do some shopping, but until I have a good idea what to grab - I'll most likely just grab something that can be fairly universal in the low voltage range.

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
Most likely low voltage projects, in the 5 to 24 volt range. Could use some recommendations for some higher ratings too, say into the 120 volt range, but that's less likely. I plan to do some shopping, but until I have a good idea what to grab - I'll most likely just grab something that can be fairly universal in the low voltage range.
TO220 Package Ok ?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014

2N7000 - TO92, 60V, 200mA, 3V

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
TO220 would be OK. But mostly I'm just looking for something very generic to play with and learn about these wonderful devices. I'm OK with NPN & PNP transistors; but N channel and P channel are - even though there's plenty of material on them, somewhat confusing. I have to get my hands on them to play with and burn a few of them out to learn something about them.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Not good to control motors. Very less max current.
That's OK. I can light an LED with one. TO220 can probably handle small motors, so I guess probably both ranges would be good.

Remember, I took electronics in High School. And yes, they had High School way back then. Graduated in 72 (that's nine-teen seventy-two) for some of you millennial's. MOSFETS weren't plentiful then, and schools weren't teaching them yet.

Last edited:

jayanthd

Joined Jul 4, 2015
That's OK. I can light an LED with one. TO220 can probably handle small motors, so I guess probably both ranges would be good.

Remember, I took electronics in High School. And yes, they had High School way back then. Graduated in 72 (that's nine-teen seventy-two) for some of you millennial's.
IRFP064N

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
TO220 would be OK. But mostly I'm just looking for something very generic to play with and learn about these wonderful devices. I'm OK with NPN & PNP transistors; but N channel and P channel are - even though there's plenty of material on them, somewhat confusing. I have to get my hands on them to play with and burn a few of them out to learn something about them.
IRF540 - TO220, 100V, 28A, 4V

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
All great advice.

Just found my IRF3205's. 20 of them. 55 volt, 110 amp, 8.0 mΩ RDS ON.

However, I will still be ordering some of the 7000's

Any advice for P channel? Any advice for using (or not using) P channel?

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
I think you need not to stock mosfets, if you want to learn more about mosfets find a smps power supply and motor controls,
these boards almost using mosfets. Since you are familiar with transistor, the only difference of the mosfet are the gate is
driven by voltage unlike transistor the base is driven by current. And also transistor pnp is equal to p channel of mosfet.
npn transistor is equal to n channel of mosfets.